PDA

View Full Version : On modelers and real amphs

deeaa
October 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I just spent 2 days (well parts of two) recording guitars for a 3-song demo for my band (Spookbox).

That entailed miking my Ceria with a 57, a 414 and also using the Zoom for some distance-miking and going back and forth the training facility where I record, to check how it sounds on the PC system& adjust mics etc.

I ended up mostly using the Celestion G35M speaker's 57 sound off-axis, with the 414 a little more to the side on the G35M (greenback) for stereo, and mixing in a little of the Zoom distance mic.

It took me a while to play the actual tracks, too, because there was a problem or two (three) with the backing track (drums we recorded a few days earlier) - there was some mismatching count-ins and a couple of actual mistakes on the backing track, of the sort that made it very difficult to track to. And I did it all alone, so I didn't set up any punch-in stuff either, but instead played it all on one go thru and thru, except the solo for one of the songs I recorded separately.

Anyway, on to the subject: after I had sweated over getting the sounds just right for 2 days, and then battled doing the songs on one go and being careful not to hit some string too hard and whatnot, having problems with monitoring and ear protection, all kinds of stuff, I suddenly stared thinking - why don't I try and see how could I duplicate what I just achieved with such hard work, using Amplitube?

Well, I spent 15 minutes selecting a suitable rig on Amp and then played the same songs thru it on the recording, and...I dunno, I don't hear or feel much difference at all. Really. Only it was WAY easier on amplitube; just play effortlessly, no hassles with anything, punch-in etc. just like that...took me all of 25 minutes to play the songs. And I think it came out better than with the huge task of miking the amp and all. It's just...I dunno. Maybe this was the last time I ever record my amph for real - it just seems dumb and a waste of energy and such.

What say you---what if I post the song base (just the drums and 1 guitar now), two versions, each with a 1-take guitar, but one played with the Ceria and the SG with gibson dirty fingers, and one with my PC and an axe I built meself from old parts and an EMG85...and then you could vote for which sounds better as well as guess which one is actually a recorded, all tube p-t-p amp and which one is a computer program...because I really would like to see if people do detect something special still with the track done with an actual amph?

I just worry I'll get maybe 2 votes in all if I do it...

Katastrophe
October 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Post it! Don't label which is which, and I would do a version with both with the Dirty Fingers and EMGz. Could be a fun exercise.

Spudman
October 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I think it would be fun too to try and guess which is which. Post them and we'll see if we can tell.

marnold
October 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'd definitely be interested and I promise to vote. I agree with Kat, don't tell us which is which.

deeaa
October 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Okay...I'll try to post it later today. Kinda busy, my youngest has his 2nd birthday today.

I think for this purpose I'll just post a clip of a minute or so of each, it's pretty boring stuff with just the drums and guitar...but I'll get it posted asap!