PDA

View Full Version : Quality Funiture Polish

mapka
October 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have a coffee table that some how over the last few weeks has gotten a large cloudy spot on it. Not sure how it happened but it looks like there was something setting on it that caused it. I wanted to try a polish to see if it would get rid of it, or at least minimize it. Any suggestions? I have some polish for the guitars, but it doesn't do a great job on haze plus I am sure the finish is completely different.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I don't think polish is gonna do, but I did find this on the web:

You can usually remove cloudy water marks in the finish by
rubbing the area with a rag dampened (not wet) with alcohol.
Another method is to apply a thick coat of an oily substance such
as petroleum jelly or mayonnaise on the mark and let it sit
overnight. Generally, the oil will displace the moisture. Most water
damage that has darkened the wood or caused the finish to
separate from the wood will require stripping and refinishing.

I've seen water marks disappear on some furniture after several days of drying (I don't know how recently your damage occurred).

Eric
October 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah I'll echo the thought that in my experience, that's usually indicative of water sitting/standing on wood for awhile. I don't know anything about removing it, but BS's advice seems decent.

mapka
October 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
The mark is definitely not a water mark. I don't know what it is but my mother had home care nursing coming in and they all used that table when dealing with her. It almost looks like something was sprayed there because you can see a mark at the edge like something was lying there when the spot was formed. It is a clouded area. It almost looks like a spot of heavy dust but it is in the finish.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I've seen that kind of thing caused by a damp cloth left on a table. Sounds possible, considering your comments about nursing care.

mapka
October 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Ill try a small test spot of Vasoline and see what happens. Let you know..