PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

Spudman
October 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
What do you suppose the odds of this happening are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S2oymHHyV1M

Robert
October 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Unreal!

It looked quite painful.

Eric
October 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The groaning was pretty funny, but yeah...glad that wasn't me.

marnold
October 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Actually that's happened twice within the past year or so just with people I know up here, although in both of those cases they were on motorcycles. In the first case it was a husband and wife riding back from the bar at night. They were killed. More recently another guy hit one. Miraculously he escaped with only a broken rib and possible orbital bone damage. In that case had he not been wearing a helmet, he almost certainly would have been killed.

My car insurance is very high up here because of all the deer strikes. It's much cheaper to get comprehensive in inner-city Milwaukee than it is up here.

Spudman
October 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Ya, but the animal attacked the guy. The guy didn't hit the animal. First it's shark attacks and now this.:thwap

Ch0jin
October 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
....... First it's shark attacks and now this.:thwap

Shark attacks in mainland Africa? Wow! Those land sharks are getting bolder! :p

hehe we are fairly accustomed to shark attacks on the news here. If you're a surfer it's almost a badge of honor to have shark bite scars. A mate of mine in my young teenage years was bitten whilst surfing. Small shark bit down on his lower leg and then spat him out "Hey, you don't taste like seal!". He thought he was dying at the time (plenty of blood) but I remember later on he told me when the doc told him the scars would heal really well considering his age and the clean wounds etc he was actually quite disappointed. I haven't seen him in years, but he did have this gnarly semi circular ring of teeth marks along his calf that really couldn't be mistaken for anything other than a shark bite. The teenage ladies loved it ;)

Tig
October 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Deer strikes, including entering through the windshield are rare here, but not unheard of. I guess I'd rather go from a "natural" event than from a drunk driver or shooting, just for appearances sake!

My Dad was hit by a drunk bicyclist while riding his Harley about 5 years ago. He lives most of the year in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. The drunk guy wasn't hurt, but my Dad's right shoulder was shattered from the fall. While he lay on the ground in pain, someone passing by robbed him. The cyclist was arrested and charged with a felony for the accident, but my Dad later convinced the cops to lower the charge to just public intoxication. That was his way of "forgiveness/turning the other cheek". A few surgeries later and the arm was close to original.

I've run over snakes and dodged birds and running squirrels on a bicycle, but nothing too large. Wait, there was a big Lab that forced me off my bike, swinging it at him before he left me alone. A doberman jumped out of a truck bed at a gas station and was running full speed at our road group one day. He didn't see the ditch at the endge of the parking lot until it was too late. He tumbled into it and some mud and was too stunned to chase any further.

Ch0jin
October 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
The big ones here in Oz are Kangaroo's and Wombats actually.

Kangaroo's seem to love to wait until the very last minute and then leap out in front of you. Driving rural Oz the sides of the roads are littered with dead ones. It's quite disturbing the first time you see the carnage. (for the most part caused by 'Road Trains'. Semi's with 3 or 4 full sized double decker trailers) Given it's pretty common for a kangaroo to be as tall or taller and as heavy or heavier than your average full grown man, you can imagine what happens when you hit one at speed.

Wombats just seem to wander out on the road and act like random speed bumps. Little speed bumps that grow up to 35kg's (77lbs), pack sharp teeth and are have an interesting blend of absolutely no fear and cantankerous aggression for a personality. Hitting them in an 18 wheeler is an inconvenience, hitting them on a bike or a small car can be disastrous.

I wonder why "Australia. So many ways for the local fauna to kill you" never took off as a tourism slogan ;)

piebaldpython
October 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Ya, but the animal attacked the guy. The guy didn't hit the animal. First it's shark attacks and now this.:thwap

Well.......it was probably around mating season and the buck was probably "defending his territory from anything that could pose a threat". That said, he was lucky it wasn't a puma that blind-sided him. They hit so hard that they can kill right off the hit.

Ch0jin
October 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
...he was lucky it wasn't a puma that blind-sided him.....

"A puma? What in Sam hell is a puma?"
"Like the shoe company?"
"No, like a puma. It's a big cat"
"You're making that up"
"Simmons, I want you to poison Grif's next meal"

Haha sorry, but every time I hear the word Puma, I think of that Red Vs Blue episode where they get the warthog. Funniest gaming related comedy EVER!

poodlesrule
October 12th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I used to subscribe to a local motorcycle list, and up here in the Northeast, stories of moose-motorcyle encounters and not uncommon, some ending pretty badly.
I recall the story of a rider hit by a big flying wild turkey, coming out of nowhere, which freaked him out. We have a flock of these jumbo jets living nearby... quite a scene when they parade down the street!

mapka
October 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I can paint two deer on my vehicles! In both cases both I and the cars survived thanks to my puma like reaction time (see how it all ties together!) :D

Tig
October 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I used to subscribe to a local motorcycle list, and up here in the Northeast, stories of moose-motorcyle encounters and not uncommon, some ending pretty badly.

A moose once bit my sister.
:rollover

guitarhack
October 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Had a whitetail jump into the front fender of my truck, but never blindsided like this poor fellow. Geez!

marnold
October 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
A moose once bit my sister.
:rollover
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti.

Tig
October 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti.

I shoulda' know you'd be the first to catch that! ^5
:applause

I did run up on a moose cross country skiing in Glacier Lake Nat. Park. We respectfully waited for him to mosey on before continuing. Møøse bite jokes continues for the rest of the trip!

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm second. We were just laughing at those credits the other night. But then we were sacked from watching the credits. ;)

Tig
October 12th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm second. We were just laughing at those credits the other night. But then we were sacked from watching the credits. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SII-jhEd-a0