PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Vox users

DaveO
November 29th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I noticed that alot of people here use the Vox AD amps. I have a Roland cube 60, how do they compare? I haven't tried the Vox but have been very pleased with my cube.
Thanks, Dave

NPauly
November 29th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Tones are similar and very usable on both. The Vox's effects are a little more tweakable, but as a result it is much more complex to use too. The Cubes are much much much more portable.

They are both rockin' amps, it's all in personal preference.

marnold
November 29th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I haven't tried the Cube 60, but I did compare the Cube 30 with my AD30VT. To my ears (and the ears of the guy I brought with me) the AD30VT sounded better. Don't ask me to define what "better" was because I'm not sure that even I could quantify it. It's not that I thought the Cube sucked, I just liked the AD30VT better. I was actually quite surprised at the time. I went to the store pretty much prepared to go home with the Cube.

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I haven't played through the Roland Cube 60, but I can certainly vouch for my AD30VT. Very versatile amp, and not overly complex to use. You can dial in the preset amp models and effects, or run in manual mode, as I always do, and tweak 'em to your liking. You're still limited in the ability to run multiple effects simultaneously (though several of the 11 effects are actually 2-effect combos), but you can always add pedals for more flexibility. But it's a kick to be able to go from a sparkly clean Fender Blackface sound to a screaming Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier ultra-distorted metal tone with a quick turn of a dial.

The amp's biggest weakness, IMO, is the cheap 10" speaker that comes in it. But for about $75 or so, you can drop in a much better speaker, like the Celestion G10 Vintage I installed in mine. Really smoothed out the harsh highs and firmed up the flabby bottom that I had with the stock speaker.

jpfeifer
November 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Dave,

I have a Vox AD 120VTX and also a Roland Cube 60 that I bought for my daughter as a practice amp. I actually like both amps very well. I like the Vox because it's plenty loud enough for gigs and lots of great tones in it.

I've played my daughter's Roland Cube quite a bit and I think that it actually sounds better than the vox on certain sounds. The Vox does a better job of Fender and Vox tones but the Cube seems have an overall smoothness about it that sounds better than the vox for certain settings.

The main reason that I use the Vox is for the flexibility in sounds (with the footswitch) and overall more volume for playing live. However, I've had a lot of compliments on the tone when I use the Roland Cube.

-- Jim