PDA

View Full Version : What type of music do you wish you could play better?

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Just curious what all of you would say to the above question. I'm fairly firmly rooted in indie rock, britpop, grunge, and contemporary church music (from a playing standpoint anyway).

What I wish I could play, however, is hard rock and the more guitar-based classic rock of the 70s. I love that music, particularly from a guitar standpoint, but I find it to be kind of far away from what I know on the guitar. It's not that I couldn't or won't learn it eventually, but I've noticed over time that my tendencies always seem to go back to my roots, and that tends to be based around the genres I listed above.

Do any of you have similar experiences? Grounded in jazz but would love to play metal? Great at classic rock but interested in ambient music? Maybe I'm alone in this, but if this thread has zero responses at least that will tell me that I am in fact an anomaly.

Tig
October 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Blues, indie rock and classic rock are fairly easy to me. Rockabilly is what I wish I could play better. That means country is in the learning path.

I'm OK at simple jazz and improvisation, but the complex stuff is way down the road.

NWBasser
October 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Actually, I think it's a very good question.

I'm very proficient at rock, but I'd really like to be able to play more jazz and jazz-fusion.

Also, I'd really like to work on playing Motown tunes ala' James Jamerson.

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Some funk skills would be good. Not that I would play funk all the time, but the skills would be good. Being really good at jazz would be nice too. And frankly, getting good at reggae rhythms would be nice.

mapka
October 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Wish I could play like Wes Montgomery. Love almost everything he plays. I tend to play blues and classic rock. Wish my soloing skills were better also. Would love my solos to have a splash of Freddie King, Albert King and BB King.

sunvalleylaw
October 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Wes, and George Benson, clearly inspired by Wes, are wonderful. I love those tones and that style. Would love to be able to play like that.

R_of_G
October 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I'd like to be able to improve my finger-picking skills so I can play acoustic country/blues a la John Fahey. Of all the styles of music I listen to, it's the style I am least able to play with any degree of success.

Eric
October 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I think I'd actually add metal to my list. There's a level of aggression in there that is pretty cool, but the physicality and speed of the music is something I don't do so well.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'd love to be able to play flatpicking style like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9SV6YNoSU

Katastrophe
October 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think there's a particular style that I'd like to play better... I would, however, like to be able to incorporate elements of all different styles of music into my playing, and add it to my vocabulary. I'd like to be able to do some chicken pickin', some jazzy modal stuff, and expand my vocabulary.

marnold
October 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Shred and, believe it or not, flamenco.

kiteman
October 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Rock is all I know. I suck at country, jazz, and blues.

Luv the 70s rock. :dance

deeaa
October 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I would like to be able to shred a little...and be much more competent at fast playing overall.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

progrmr
October 17th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I would definitely like to be able to down pick ala Master of Puppets - so yea metal and even thrash.

Honestly I'd like to play everything better but even though I love to listen to the metal if it's very fast I can't play it. Workin' on it but it's a tough slog.

R_of_G
October 17th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Shred and, believe it or not, flamenco.

I can believe it. They're not as diametrically opposed as one might think as both require very technically precise playing. I'd think being adept at one would be a benefit towards learning the other.

Glacies
October 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
The Funk.

I feel the funk, but I can't translate it through the guitar yet.

R_of_G
October 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
The Funk.

I feel the funk, but I can't translate it through the guitar yet.

There are some great video lessons out there with Leo Nocentelli of the Meters who helped define the sound of funk guitar. Most of what I can play of the Funk came from listening to Leo.

Pickngrin
October 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Jazz. I would love to be able to play bebop and jazz standards. At some point, I will make a focused attempt to learn some of that stuff.

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Fingerstyle acoustic stuff. My fingerpicking is ropey, to say the least. Just seems more natural to use a pick.
Also, I really would like to be able to play convincing slide guitar. Whenever I try to play slide I can never seem to get a nice clean note. Maybe I'm lazy, I really must practice more !!

djmcconnell
October 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I need to set some musical goals -- I'm all over the map. I grew up playing a lot of folk, so am completely comfortable finger picking. I wish I had that same level of comfort comping some cool rock riffs, a bit of funk and blues-styled soloing to boot. Is that too much to ask?

kidsmoke
October 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Wes, and George Benson, clearly inspired by Wes, are wonderful. I love those tones and that style. Would love to be able to play like that.

+1. that's when sprang to mind when I read the original post.

something about the fluidity and the roundness of tone, just oooozes cool.

starskyroth
November 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
I wish to play better Guitar based, Voile n Based and specially Metal based Heavy music to play,
can say it's my Desire my entire life,Well.....
martini recipes (http://www.martiniguide.net/martini-recipes.html)

leejohn
November 3rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
I am in the process of learning how to play jazz. George Benson is a favorite. I love his tones!