PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul & Friends - *NEW* CD

Nelskie
December 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Thought I'd start the first thread at "Have You Heard" with a great new CD that I picked up a few weeks ago. Les Paul & Friends' "American Made: World Played" is a fantastic compilation featuring a bevy of guitar greats, as well as a number of new performers, doing various covers and originals. The album was recorded in conjunction with Les' 90th Birthday celebration, and is a fitting tribute to a man who has contributed so much of himself to that which he loves and cares for so deelpy: the guitar.

From the Gibson model that has borne his namesake for well over 60 years (the very first Les Paul models were made back in 1941! Originally, they didn't want the Gibson name appearing on the headstock of the guitar - can you imagine!), to pioneering efforts in the field of guitar design, to playing techniques, to guitar effects, to modern recording methods, Les Paul is a larger-than-life figure in the world of guitar. And while his sensually-curved, signature guitar has also played a pivotal role in the creation of some of rock music's greatest songs, few people may know that Les Paul was the very *first* artist to employ "multi-tracking" as a method of recording the guitar (way, way back in 1947). I mean, could you even imagine being able to stake claim to something like that - a technique that EVERY sound technician or engineer in the recording INDUSTRY uses . . . saying "yeah, I developed that"?!!!

Few guitars can boast a roll call of legendary players as can the Les Paul: Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), Jeff Beck (Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, solo), Duane Allman (Allman Bros., Derek & The Dominos, solo - Duane would later switch to the SG model), Davey Johnstone (Elton John Band), Billy F. Gibbons (Moving Sidewalks, ZZ Top), Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rossington-Collins Band), Peter Frampton (Humble Pie, Frampton's Camel, solo), Tom Scholz (Boston), Joe Perry (Aerosmith, Joe Perry Project), Eric Clapton (yes, Eric Clapton! Eric did not start playing Fenders exclusively until the early / mid 70's. Eric has played in the following bands: Yardbirds, John Mayall & The Blesbreakers, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, and of course, a bevy of solo work), Mike Bloomfield (Bob Dylan, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, solo), Ace Frehley (KISS, Frehley's Comet), Neal Schon (Santana, Journey, HSAS, Soul SirkUs, solo), Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy, solo), Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne, solo), Slash (Guns n' Roses, Slash's Snakepit, Velvet Revolver) . . . geez, I could go on forever. As a Les Paul player myself, I can definitely tell you that the guitar has "that" sound. Truly, it is something you have to experience first-hand, in order to completely understand the affliction. And once "smitten", you'll be hard-pressed to love another guitar quite in the same way as you'd love your Les Paul. ;)

Anyways - the CD is a fantastic listen, abound with lively guitar and delicious tones. Surprisingly, it also features a lot of trademark Fender players, like Keith Richards (Telecaster), Steve Miller (Stratocaster), and Buddy Guy (who has his own Fender Signature model!), though such trivialities pale in comparison to the luster of their collaborations. Les even lends his very capable guitar stylings to (2) of the tracks (How High The Moon, Caravan). One of the highlight songs on the CD, at least I think, is the duet "Ain't That Good News", which features Jeff Beck on guitars, and legendary soul-man Sam Cooke on vocals. Although this version of the song is "tricked" out with a few new twists, it is somewhat reflective of Les' own attitude, in that he never chose to settle with things "as they were" - he always sought to go beyond. And if there ever was a guitarist who exemplified that line of thinking, it would definitely have to be Jeff Beck. Its almost frightening to think about all of the killer sounds and tones Beck has come up with in the nearly (40) years or so he's been behind a guitar.

Les Paul's "American Made: World Played" has been getting a lot of airplay at my house lately, and for good reason. It's an enjoyable collection of some really good songs, and features outstanding guitar work from a number of guitar's legendary players. Definitely check it out!

Robert
December 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Sounds like a good CD! It would make a good Christmas present for guitar player. Thanks for the review.

Tone2TheBone
December 19th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Nelski,

Excellent review. You have the gift of gab and that is a good thing. Thanks!

warren0728
December 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
as a side note concerning les paul...he still plays every monday night at the iridium jazz club in NYC and you never know who might show up to play with him. After the 2nd show les comes out and sits in a booth and signs autographs for everyone who wants something signed. He signs guitars, tickets, whatever and actually talks with you too!

I was able to get his extra pick from his mike stand and he signed it as well as my ticket stubb. (you can see the signed pick on the table)

this was in 2003 or 2004

gonna have to go that cd today!

ww

Robert
December 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Awesome! He must be getting old. What a legend!

warren0728
December 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
yes he is...mostly did bar chord stuff while playing but told great stories about his past in between songs...

ww

Nelskie
December 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Wow. What an experience, Warren. I am totally envious.

I'd read in an interview sometime this summer that Les had still been keeping his regular jazz club gig. Bar chords or whatever, the man is a living, breathing guitar legend. Even if he'd strap on a guitar, and do nothing but stand on stage & tell stories, it'd be worth it!! ;)

Robert
December 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Even if he'd strap on a guitar, and do nothing but stand on stage & tell stories, it'd be worth it!! ;)

Nelskie, agreed!

warren0728
December 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
i actually made the trip to nyc just to see him....i have a buddy who lives there so for me it was a cheap trip (no hotel!).

What a thrill it was to actually not only see him perform but to sit down with him and have a small conversation too!

On a side note i ended up sitting next to a friend of les's at the show....Herbert A. Deutsch....a composer who was involved with the development of moog synthesisers:

http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machines/moog/ check out third paragraph....

http://www.hofstra.edu/academics/hclas/music/music_deutsch.cfm

all in all one of my best "musical moments"

ww

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Nice review! I'll look for it in the music store when I rake in some Christmas ¢a$h! :)