PDA

View Full Version : Stones - Live in Texas -78 Concert Movie

sunvalleylaw
October 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11O_ONCf6A

Caught this with my boys tonight. Really a good show! It reminded me how much I like the Some Girls album (which is probably my favorite Stones album). It also reminded me that I don't need to, nor would pay for a Stones tour date if they did tour again. The first 3/4 of the show was Some Girls material mostly, which was great. But when they closed with some of the Stones mandatorys (like Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash), I got bored.

Still a great concert film that is worth seeing. I am so used to Keef looking like Jack Sparrow's dad that I forgot what he looked like back then. Ron Wood finding his stride as a Stone was cool to watch too. Mick was Mick of course.

R_of_G
October 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
You know I'm a devoted worshipper of the Stones' middle period.

Some Girls is high on my list of favorite albums, though nothing will ever knock Sticky Fingers from it's #1 spot for me. There's really no way to overstate the influence Richards' playing has had on my rhythm playing.

If you want to see more great concert footage from this era, find yourself a copy of "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones." Most of the material in that film is from Exile and Sticky Fingers.

One last note, "Brown Sugar" rocks, and hard. If you really want to get a feel for how to play in Richards' style, tune to his Open G tuning and learn that song. It's not difficult to learn and for me it opened up a whole new world of rhythm play.

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" I've never been too fond of.

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I agree "Brown Sugar" rocks. And "Jumpin' Jack Flash" has that cool riff. But I am just a bit burned out on those tunes. I suppose if one was at a Stones show, one would be in the mood for the tunes anyway. That is a good suggestion to learn Sugar. I did come away from the movie with a renewed respect for Richard's playing, rockitude, and influence. It was good to see him when he looked less haggard too. I will go check out "Sticky Fingers" again, though it would be hard pressed to push out "Some Girls" for me, with the period influences (Shattered, Miss You) on the Stones music. I like the stripped down, punky feel, rap influenced lyric delivery in parts of those songs, and even the disco influenced "4 on the Floor beat that Mick talks about in the interview before hand. Apparently Billy Preston was playing around with Mick on that song, Watts walked in and heard them, and that is how the song ended up being played. At least that is the story according to Mick.

mapka
October 19th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I am more of a fan of their earlier stuff. I did see them in concert once when they were doing the Voodoo Lounge tour. I love that album also. I cannot say I don't like Brown Sugar, Jack Flash or any of the others you hear all the time, just that I am burned out on them. As with many artist there are so many other great songs of theirs that haven't been done to death both by them and other artist, not to mention radio. But, in some ways IMHO that is a good thing. Keith is one of a few celebrities alive that I can say I would love to meet.