PDA

View Full Version : What's your Unique Selling Point as a guitarist?

Lev
October 19th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Imagine you had to sell yourself as a guitarist, what would your USP be that sets you apart from other guitar players/musicians?

This came into my head recently because I've been on and off with my band for the last 18months or so while I prioritized my family commitments. In that time the band has had 3 different guitarists fill in on gigs that I couldn't do, all of them were pretty talented I thought. Anyway I've been able to dedicate more time to the band recently as my family commitments have eased off a little and we've been rehearsing and gigging again in the last few weeks. When going through our set the guys in the band have been saying "Oh it's so great to be able to do song 'X' again or song 'Y' again" because they couldn't do it with the other guitar players. This kinda surprised me because often they were songs that weren't technically difficult but did require a good sense of timing and some interplay between the bass, drums and guitar. So I started to think that maybe this is my strength, not so much guitar technique but having a good ear and knowing when to play and when to hold back in a band situation. I ain't trying to blow smoke up my a$$ here & I genuinely suck in many areas of guitar playing but I think most people have one or two techniques or talents that they do pretty well.

We've had a lot of posts here over the years about techniques that we can't master or about hitting the proverbial brick wall so lets have a positive discussion about what you feel you do well.

Eric
October 19th, 2011, 10:21 AM
That's a neat thread idea.

I do well in ambient settings. Not so much in the sense of using tons and tons of pedals and modulation effects, but more in the notes I pick. I play the IV a lot (like F in the key of C), which always sounds better to me in those types of situations.

But really, my main talent is that I'm typically very reliable and committed, and I really want to sound good -- like as a band. I hate settling for 'good enough.' That can make me kind of a pain in the ***, but I think it's a good thing.

Lastly, I'm pretty decent on rhythm guitar, and I generally don't mind not being the star.

You know, looking over those qualities, you'd think I might be a pretty decent guitarist, but everyone in this area only seems to care about playing pentatonic hard rock, and I don't have the chops to do that nor am I good at those really muscular guitar solos. So I feel like I suck.

Robert
October 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
My veins.

Commodore 64
October 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I don't rightly know. The people in my band say that I'm good at going with the flow, even if I don't know exactly what we're doing. Worst case I can always find a moveable chord somewhere on the neck and fit in to the mix.

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hmm. I am not sure I qualify much. I did say to the guys I performed with last spring that I have a work ethic and motivation. I also naturally anticipate and follow changes well, at least pentatonically with some note additions, and have a decent sense of timing, though that could improve.

markb
October 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Solid rhythm playing and a quick ear. Both got through playing in under rehearsed scratch bands.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM
"Selling point"??? Hell, I can't even give it away!

I've got a decent singing voice, can sing harmonies, and have my own flavor of rhythm playing, finger-picking and "hybrid" picking, too.

deeaa
October 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
On vocals, maybe I have a good range and a voice that's recognizable at least.

But on guitar...I really don't know. I think I have a knack for song composition, it's really easy for me and I could write a dozen songs a day easy, and they'd be even pretty good, at least IMO...making melodies and lyrics just feels easy and natural to me.

I do also think I play a mean, tight but loose-sounding rhythm guitar and especially have a good grip on what sounds good and what does not.

Often I think I'd be better off as a producer than a musician, really...

Eric
October 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Often I think I'd be better off as a producer than a musician, really...
The only reason I would disagree with this is that it sort of connotes that you're not a great musician, when in fact you are. But yeah, I think your skills would translate really well to music production, even if I know very little about it. You can fill in on instruments, you have an ear for getting the right sound, you know how to record, you write songs, etc.

Katastrophe
October 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Here's my selling point:

I WORK CHEAP.

Seriously, I don't really know if I have a selling point, other than I'm willing to work hard, and am easy to work with as long as the band leader is clear with what he or she wants.

oldguy
October 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
My bib overalls.

hubberjub
October 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I can keep up with most musicians at the bar. Other than that, I feel that I'm quite versatile and I'm told that I come up with unique parts that compliment what the other musicians are playing. Of course, playing pedal steel helps. It's one of those instruments that just looks impressive to have on stage. Not that I play it well, it just adds to the visual appeal of the band. I can't count how many people stick around to the end of a show just so they can ask questions about it.

Robert
October 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM
All kidding aside, I don't think I'm the right person to say what I'm good at. I leave that to others to determine. I am constantly critical regarding my own abilities.

Compared to many of my students, I'm a few steps ahead in most ways. Compared to the guys I listen to and are inspired by, I'm more than just a few steps behind... so it's all relative.

marnold
October 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Beyond the fact I'm a conservative German Lutheran metalhead?

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Good idea for a thread here. A few interesting comments made. As far as myself is concerned, considering I've played guitar for a good few years now, I wouldn't consider myself to be a "great" player. I'm self taught, never had a lesson in my life. Played in a few bands, and always had compimentary remarks about my playing, but like every player, I always strive to be better. One of my biggest influences has got to be the late, great Paul Kossoff, from Free. His timing and phrasing, not to mention that awesome vibrato technique have always inspired me. So, I guess, if asked, I'd say my USP would be..I don't have a "Guitar Hero" fixation, I listen to what the rhythm section is doing and try not to "overplay". I always try to play relatively simple, but hopefully memorable solo's, rather than try to be flash and risk overpowering the song, or, indeed, my fellow bandmates.

NWBasser
November 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm no great guitar player. Far from it.

But, if I had to sell myself for an audition, I would fall on my sense of rhythm and my listening skills as strong points.

stingx
November 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
I have a wonderful muffin a$$.

cebreez
November 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Since I spent most of my years playing bass and singing lead vocals I would have to say it would be my uncanny timing. Its has carried over well in my guitar playing which relatively I haven't been doing that long. At least when I suck I do it time! I will say my guitar playing has made me a better bass player and vice versa.

NWBasser
November 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Since I spent most of my years playing bass and singing lead vocals I would have to say it would be my uncanny timing. Its has carried over well in my guitar playing which relatively I haven't been doing that long. At least when I suck I do it time! I will say my guitar playing has made me a better bass player and vice versa.

That pretty well describes me too, well, except for the singing part...

kramerguitarsrule
November 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
i am a good show men

kramerguitarsrule
November 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
i bet you do

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM
If I ever get good enough......hahaha.........playing slide and lap steel.

tjw1974
November 22nd, 2011, 04:49 AM
well let's start with some basics, I:
- show up for all practices on time
- learn what I say I'm going to learn by when I'm going to learn it
- focus on practice (not obsessing about where I need to be next)
- do not drink at or before practice
- get along well with others

I've known a lot of awesome players who you can't stand to be in a room with.

Eric
November 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
I've known a lot of awesome players who you can't stand to be in a room with.
They don't shower, huh? You'd think they'd figure that out...