PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your "old" computers?

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Build new ones with the box? Give them to your family...friends (who already have them). Put them in the trash? Take them to Goodwill? Salvage them at some place that takes old computers?

aeolian
November 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
In my city there is a non-profit where I can donate computer equipment. I get a tax writeoff for the fair market value.

aeolian

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM
In my city there is a non-profit where I can donate computer equipment. I get a tax writeoff for the fair market value.

aeolian

There is a public school education foundation in my area where I can do the same thing. My kids are in school locally, so I find a teacher that can use whatever I have and then donate it through the foundation to get the tax benefit.

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Hmmm I wonder if there is something like that here. Where would I check?

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I've sold a couple to coworkers here at work. Generally guys looking for a cheap 2nd machine for his kids or maybe a "grandma" computer for e-mail, web browsing and other low PC horsepower tasks.

SuperSwede
November 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I have a really really hard time to throw away stuff that works.. unfortunately my wife does not. But I have managed to keep a few of the old cool computers. Among the finest Atari STE with a 20 (T W E N T Y !) Mb HD and the original release of Cubase. I also have a old b/w mac that is awesome.

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 11:31 AM
"Grandma" computers. *dies laughing* hahahahahahaha

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Hmmm I wonder if there is something like that here. Where would I check?

Call your school district. I know they exist in other parts of the country.

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Call your school district. I know they exist in other parts of the country.

Hey thanks Sun I will check into this. I can call my daughter's school.

(still laughing from Voodoo's grandma comment)

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hey thanks Sun I will check into this. I can call my daughter's school.

(still laughing from Voodoo's grandma comment)

I give my mother-in-law semi regular email and internet lessons on her Oma Mac (she's Dutch).:p

Katastrophe
November 30th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Also, check with your local community college. One of the ones in my area will take a computer / parts for use in their computer repair classes.

tot_Ou_tard
November 30th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Build new ones with the box? Give them to your family...friends (who already have them). Put them in the trash? Take them to Goodwill? Salvage them at some place that takes old computers?
Hmmm...I wonder what Ol' Toney got fer his bday?