PDA

View Full Version : Finger-picking... how to learn, develop technique (on electric)?

poodlesrule
October 20th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Even though I usually use a pick, I find casual finger-picking very satisfying, and I get a good, organic sound that I like, with it.

To pursue it, and get more benefits from it, I would need to work on the technique, using some/most fingers.
Any advice?
(maybe I need to watch more Freddy King and Robbie Keiger:))

Related: What's up with nail growing? I have a strong thumb one, but others are lacking, as is. I think I once read that some folks use a nail hardener or such??

Bookkeeper's Son
October 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I took folk lessons when I was in grade school, so I got comfortable with a couple of basic fingerpicking styles, one I think is called the Travis pick. It's second nature to me, and I think it'll take a decent amount of practice for a non-beginner to "master". Anyway, I remember the pattern, as my teacher taught it to me: PT1T2T, or Pinch, thumb, one, thumb, two, thumb - which translates to:

For an open C chord

Pinch - two strings at once, 5th and the 2nd
Thumb - pluck 5th string with thumb
1 - pluck a higher note, the 2nd string with the index finger
T - pluck a lower note with the thumb, the 4th string
2 - pluck a higher note, the 1st string with the middle finger
T - last pluck on the 5th string with the thumb

Specific strings will vary, depending on the chord, but I'm going to assume you'll get the idea when you try it.

Eric
October 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
I used to be more adept at it when I played primarily acoustic guitar, but I'd generally suggest the same as I do for everything: start with something simple and go from there. I found 'Landslide' by Fleetwood Mac to be very very simple, at least the version I learned. It goes like this:

C: x3201x
G: x2003x
Am7: x0201x
G: x2003x

Those are read with the low E string on the left. Play the strings like this:

A G D B G D G

for all chords, and do it pretty slow.

You might already be beyond that, but if not, that steady motion is something that sounds decent and sounds like a real song, yet is a good starting point. These days, whenever I pick up an acoustic I just end up fingerpicking chords, usually some open suspended chords or something. I'm no John Fahey or anything (I think he used fingerpicking, right?), but it's the same as anything: eventually your fingers get used to it. HTH.