PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics question

deeaa
October 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM
hey guys,

I have a few upcoming songs...I wonder how do people interpret these lyrics of one? I wonder if it is too abstract t understand them. ANY insight as to what do they talk about in your view are appreciated....I really need to know if they are misread easily, or not legible at all?

BALANCE OF LIFE
Do you want my sanity
Do you want it all today
Or do you crave my levity
Is it all that you can bear to see today

You could just let me live my life and stay this way
Or you could take my life right here right now today

Either way it is the differences we see
And the promises we seek
Every moment that goes by
Complements the balance of life

Do you you want me an enemy
Or do you ascertain that way I'm here to stay
Or is it just for therapy
Put me thru a test again today

You could just let me live my life and stay this way
Or you could take my life right here right now today

Either way it is the differences we see
And the promises we seek
Every moment that goes by
Complements the balance of life

deeaa
October 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
No comments? I'm not asking whether it's any good or if you like it, simply that does it strike you as it means something or is it too vague.

It's supposed to be about people, dealing with someone who's constantly testing the other and pushing and pulling and being difficult to deal with, trying to change the other, trying to dig out issues, and doing that simply because of insecurity issues. You know, like a child will tease and torment someone he/she wants to be a friend, because the kid has no better way to find out if the other can be trusted etc. and is also trying to not let out that the other person is important, so as not to be disappointed if he/she does not respond.

Something I see a lot in people around me sometimes, that's all. Just wondering if it is in any way apparent in the lyric. I'm not a native English speaker despite it is my profession, and I fear it may work only via translation back to my own language and might appear senseless in just English. Just curious.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM
Vague. But hell, there are lots of vague lyrics, Becker & Fagen's for example. Still made for excellent records.

Edit: I suppose some things don't translate well. I've never seen the word "ascertain" in a lyric.

Eric
October 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
Sorry, I ignored this thread for a little while.

It seems to be asking the person to whom the song is directed whether they really, truly want you and all of your faults and everything else that lies beyond the superficial and casual relationship (e.g. the person who is uncovered once you're married) or whether they'd rather stay with that slight distance between you, where everything is tidy and they don't get into the muck of life and a serious relationship. The chorus seems to reiterate this, albeit in a way that almost makes it seem like you're giving the listener the same option twice.

I'm not sure I get the 'either way' part or the second verse. Honestly, the 'either way' (is this the chorus?) seems sort of like filler lyrics where it's so vague it has no meaning, but I'm fine with that, having grown up on the ridiculously cryptic lyrics of 90s alternative and grunge.

Anyway, not sure if that's what the song is about, but upon first glace that's how it appears to me. I hope that helped. BTW, I didn't read any posts after the initial one before I posted this reply; I didn't want to spoil my initial impressions.

deeaa
October 22nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks Eric; that's great insight and exactly what I wished for. I'm really grateful. That is indeed exactly what I wanted to convey.

The either way part is the chorus, and it tries to say the protagonist thinks it ultimately does not matter what the other thinks and he's content either way, accepting the fact the other cannot be changed, it's just a ying-yang thing.

The truth is, there was a different second chorus initially, which probably would have clarified it a bit, but I struggled to make it good enough, and also got lazy thinking I'd have to memorize that much more vocals :-)

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/BalanceOfLifeRAW_BASSLESS.mp3

There's a raw version of the song with a basic mix but lacking a bass still...I'll post the finalized version later on in member clips. Might take a week or so to get the bass done (we're both kinda busy).

Thanks again! Next time I'll just bother u with a PM maybe :-)

Eric
October 22nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
I like it. I wasn't sure how you were going to do the vocals in that song, since the guitars were so busy and it has weird time sigs, but it definitely works as a whole.

cheapgtrs
October 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I like lyrics to be a somewhat of a mystery. Its important as an artist to express what you're feeling but equally important for a listener to be able to interpret what a song means to them. I think you did a great job with the lyrics. And for what its worth I really dig the song as a whole. I like the guitar and the vocal is badass. Is that you singing?

deeaa
October 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yep I am the singer/songwriter/guitarist/mixer/producer/whatever of the group...Spookbox it is called. None of the players are pro or very experienced except me to a certain degree, but it is a fun bunch of old buddies I have known all my life, so I forgive much about their playing and just have fun making garage rock. Good therapy to play with them!

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

cheapgtrs
October 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Very cool. I keep trying to sing but I just sound like somebody stepping on a cats tail. But yeah bro, nicely done.