PDA

View Full Version : BOX.NET CONTENT or, How do you connect online at home

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Oldguy and several of you fantastic artists have been kind enough to email me your recorded work that you've posted here. I first want to say WHAT A GREAT JOB YOU GUYS ARE DOING YAY! :DR !

The reason I've asked you guys to email me your songs is because I am still on copper wire telephone dial up internet connection at home. If I'm lucky I connect at a whopping speed of 21.6k. At work I am on a fairly fast network so it's no problem downloading EXCEPT that because I am at work (shhhhhhhh) I cannot access online web storage sites such as the box.net So all this time I've been missing out on all this awesome recorded music that my friends have been doing. After hearing the files sent to me I am itching to get back to work on doing some of my own again. You guys are inspiring. Anyway I wanted to ask how many of you are still on dial up? Do you find yourself in a similar situation? I can't stand accessing email at home because of the slow speed much less trying to download anything. Is there a dial up connection support group here? :(

ted s
November 29th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Ya, Tone, dial-up is pretty painfull anymore at the best of times. I switched over a couple years ago to DSL over phone line, but still get to experience dial-up at the outlaws when we are there for a weekend. At first the cost bothered me, but after having it there is no way I would go back (within reason)
High speed not available in your area of Albucrazy yet ?

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Ted S - I live on the outer rim of the City. I'm a country mouse. Some areas Qwest has high speed internet....just not in my area or for my number. This is ironic too because the tribe sold Right of Way on the highway 100 feet from us for fiber optic communication lines. I guess I could look into DSL?

SuperSwede
November 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I havent had dial up for several years... I have aDSL right now (2mbits) but we are considering getting fibre installed next year (100mb in/out ! )

ted s
November 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Some folks I know are getting it over their television co-ax, others dsl via phone line. I haven't been able to observe any performance difference, kinda like gear I suppose. I've heard people getting a sattelite service but pretty pricey with it's own limitations. Let us know what you find.

Ted

duhvoodooman
November 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I guess I could look into DSL?
Yeah, definitely do that, Tone. Don't know what they offer out your way, but DSL is often available in different "grades"--the faster, the higher the monthly fee. Get as much speed as you can reasonably afford. While DSL isn't as fast as cable, it's still at least an order of magnitude faster than (shudder!!) dial-up....

oldguy
November 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
You bet! See if it's available! If it is, you might as well go ahead and get it Tone. Once you download Audacity and start finding sites with good backing tracks, you'll go bonkers waiting for them to download. Plus you can get on the Box and add your take to all this new stuff real quick!:DR

Spudman
November 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM
You could also go with satellite receiver. A few service providers use that as their connection means rather than a cable.

Tone2TheBone
November 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Well I have a Dish Network Satellite receiver and dish that's still sitting on my roof from years ago. I suppose I could get them to provide me DSL with that stuff? I cancelled my service years back when my oldest spent too many hours watching cartoons. hahaha I think I will look into DSL.

sunvalleylaw
November 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Well I have a Dish Network Satellite receiver and dish that's still sitting on my roof from years ago. I suppose I could get them to provide me DSL with that stuff? I cancelled my service years back when my oldest spent too many hours watching cartoons. hahaha I think I will look into DSL.

I just have DSL package with our phone service through Qwest out here in Idaho. If I were going to do it again, I would look into cable as they are now running some good packages. We had not before because we didn't want the kids watching Disney or Cartoon Network all the time. The Qwest service is fine for us.