PDA

View Full Version : Argh! I hate this weekend!

FrankenFretter
October 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
As some of you may know, my desktop computer took a nose dive a couple months ago. I've been planning on updating it, since it's been a few years since I built it. I had a customer of mine gift me a socket 775 mobo and P4 processor a while back, so I was just saving up for the necessary additional items, like the CPU cooler and a couple of SATA HDs. After selling one of my Agiles to Eric, I had the funds I needed, so I ordered the parts. They got here last weekend, which is when I figured out that I am an idiot and hadn't ordered SATA cables and Molex to SATA adapters for my power supply. Those came on Thursday, so I spent a couple hours last night taking apart my old machine and cleaning the case (man, that thing was nasty. I'm ashamed). I assembled the new parts, and got to the point where I could test to see if I'd get a POST screen. At first the system powered up and I was immediately assaulted by the cacophony of the mobo buzzer screaming at me with a constant tone. A very loud tone. I took the RAM out (got that from Mapka, thanks Mark!), and reseated it. The tone went away, yay! Powered on the monitor, and nothing. I decided to try the onboard video card instead of my GeForce add on card, thinking maybe that was it. Nope. Black screen.

This sucks. One thing that may be the issue is that the power socket on the mobo is a 24-pin, while my Antec supply only has the 20-pin plug. In the mobo manual, it says a 20-pin should work. This mobo doesn't have an LED on the board to indicate power, so I don't know if that's the problem. It could very well be the proc, or the mobo itself. Dammit!

Add to this frustration the fact that I've come down with a nasty cold, and I feel horrible. The entire time spent assembling the new machine was interuppted about ten thousand times for me to blow my nose, and sneeze my head off. I get grumpy when I'm sick, so the failure of last night's attempt was doubly frustrating to me. Grrr...

I ordered a mobo/cpu combo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138295) from Newegg last night, along with a new power supply. I figure all my bases are covered that way. It's not a very swanky setup, just a micro ATX board with an AMD Sempron. It will have to do for now. I can always upgrade the proc later, and add more RAM as funding allows. This should finally get me up and running for the time being, and should have enough horsepower to run my DAW stuff (the last system was really struggling). Hopefully next weekend will be the final chapter in this fiasco. Wish me luck!

marnold
October 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
You didn't let out the magic smoke, did you? ;)

I've been trying to diagnose my son's laptop problems over the phone for the last couple of weeks. I think dropping it twice probably had something to do with it. :messedup:

FrankenFretter
October 22nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
You didn't let out the magic smoke, did you? ;)

I've been trying to diagnose my son's laptop problems over the phone for the last couple of weeks. I think dropping it twice probably had something to do with it. :messedup:

Laptops are a pain. Unless it's the HD or the RAM, you can't do any repairs yourself. Hope you get it figured out, Matt!

Bookkeeper's Son
October 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Sean, I thought I heard some distant agonized screaming last night.......