PDA

View Full Version : New Strat in the house!

Radioboy950
October 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Pulled the trigger on an "el Cheapo" Strat, the Fender Deluxe Lone Star.
Texas Specials and a Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker.
Went for the gloss black, brown shell pick guard and rosewood board.
This pic isn't that great, but it's sharp guitar.
Pickups are surprisingly quiet.
Pretty simple really...you get all the classic strat sounds, plus some extra punch from that humbucker.
Spent a lot of time making setup adjustments (truss rod, string height & intonation).
Should have put my preferred strings on too, but I didn't have an extra set.
I like the way Fender finishes their necks...smooth satin.
Fret work seems fine to me.
So far, seems like a decent budget guitar.
Gotta let it settle in, stretch the strings out, and see how long it stays in tune.
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/radioboy950/NewStrat.jpg

cebreez
October 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
NICE!! Don't sound so cheap to me...! :cool:

Radioboy950
October 22nd, 2011, 07:08 PM
NICE!! Don't sound so cheap to me...! :cool:

Yeah, maybe "less expensive" would be more accurate. About half the price of an American Standard.

bcdon
October 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Very nice!! I'm playing my strat right now (Hell ZeroDot) and it is one fun guitar. I love bouncing between the single coils and the humbucker.
Rock on! :dude

Spudman
October 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr29/IbanezDaemon/motivator570277730bc6237f4d73c5ca4e.jpg

Looks like it was meant to be. Congrats. That's a sharp looking guitar. :thumbsup

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Nice! I really like those!

Katastrophe
October 24th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, maybe "less expensive" would be more accurate. About half the price of an American Standard.

...and that's a good thing!

Congrats on the guitar, man! It's a real beauty.

marnold
October 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Cool! Nice Strat.

Tig
October 24th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'd "do" that Strat! :AOK
HNGD!

oldguy
October 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Very nice Strat, RB. Congratulations and enjoy!

stingx
October 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Great guitar. Congrats! I had an older AmStd Lone Star with the original Duncan humbucker and DiMarzio singles. It was very versatile. I sold it because I play my JV more plus I used the cash to fund another superstrat. I kinda miss it.

anticlox
October 29th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sweet guitar! Just joined the Strat club myself - been playing a Michael Kelly Valor X for a couple of years, lovely tone, slim neck. Turned the big 50 last month and my big brother bought me an American Standard Black and white strat. Struggled to get used to it for a while but now my fingers have stopped bleeding it sounds amazing - loving the bullet strings.
Still can't believe I got such an amazing Bro'!!! Just needed to tell someone who would appreciate it !

Radioboy950
October 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Sweet guitar! Just joined the Strat club myself - been playing a Michael Kelly Valor X for a couple of years, lovely tone, slim neck. Turned the big 50 last month and my big brother bought me an American Standard Black and white strat. Struggled to get used to it for a while but now my fingers have stopped bleeding it sounds amazing - loving the bullet strings.
Still can't believe I got such an amazing Bro'!!! Just needed to tell someone who would appreciate it !

I'd say you've got a darn cool brother right there. I also have the Bullets (.009-.042). I have totally bonded with this Strat. I would get another in a heartbeat.

Tig
October 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Welcome to The Fret, anticlox. Be sure to give us an introduction over in The Fret Players section (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php/13-The-Fret-Players) when you get the chance.

So, is your brother accepting applications for another brother? :cool:

Duffy
October 30th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Personally that is one of my favorite strats, plus the Roadhouse. Something about the way the ones I've played sound and feel. Maybe I'll get one some day. How does it compare to the American Standard?

Radioboy950
October 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Personally that is one of my favorite strats, plus the Roadhouse. Something about the way the ones I've played sound and feel. Maybe I'll get one some day. How does it compare to the American Standard?

The only other Fender I have owned is an American Standard Tele. In my opinion, this Strat is of similar quality, especially the neck and fretwork. It seems well-built, plays great, and stays in tune with light tremolo use. I adjusted the bridge for less float, and that really improved tuning stability.

Duffy
October 31st, 2011, 03:23 AM
You can also buy those nice Fender Locking Tuners or Schallers, almost the same, and they work really well and are a nice inexpensive addition to an already nice guitar. I have some on a couple strats and just put some on my mint used tobacco flame Singlecut Tremolo PRS SE I just got, but those were mini Grovers, also very nice tuners that help keep it in tune by reducing the number of winds around the post that you have to make when restringing. Usually only one to one and a quarter turns around the post. This eliminates slack and reorientation of the string windings around the post when you suddenly relax the string tension while using the tremolo more than just slightly, or by wringing it out good. They make restringing a lot quicker as well.