PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fixed the neck heavy SG G-400?

ajaxajax2000
October 24th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Hi.

Just got my Epi SG G-400, and so far I'm really happy with it. But - there's one issue. It's said to be way neck heavy compared to a Gibson SG, and I believe this is true. It's a bit annoying, the neck pulling towards the floor as soon as my left hand leaves it unsupported.

I've read about curing this (at least partly) by changing to lighter tuners. I can't imagine this would do that much of a difference, but I might be wrong. Anyone here have experienced this problem and fixed it?

If yes - what brand of tuners do you recommend?

TIA

Peter

kiteman
October 24th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Move the strap button to the tip of the horn. :socool

Bookkeeper's Son
October 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM
A set of lighter-weight tuners can help a bit. The most common cure is a wide, grippy strap.

deeaa
October 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'd like to swap the Grovers on my SG Prophecy for something lighter too. It is just slightly neck heavy, despite I swapped the strap button to horn tip already. Anybody know where to score some that would have the same footprint? I also thought of just changing the knobs for plastic ones, but where do I find plastic ones that fit Grover heads AND don't cost more than a full set of new tuners...?

markb
October 25th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Bigsby tailpiece. Extreme but it works... :)

Katastrophe
October 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM
You could trade it in for a Fender Blacktop Strat.... Neck heavy problem solved! (lol)

I think I found some weighted straps that can fix your problem... I think Robert posted something about them a while ago (it may have been someone else, though).

http://www.neckheavy.com/index.html

HTH

ZMAN
October 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM
The grover rotomatics weigh in at 46 grams each, and the green key klusons at 23. I went through this before and it makes a difference of 11 total ounces compared to 6. I went with a larger leather rough backed 3 inch strap. That helps.
My Gibson SGs have the Kluson style and are NOT neck heavy.
You can get a really good set of Wilkinson Kluson style for under 40 dollars. They are really good, and will give the guitar a really old school vibe.
It is really too bad because my guitar is a sweet playing SG and it makes it a PITA to play. The strap is a big improvement.

otaypanky
October 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
ZMAN is correct that a wider strap with a bit of grip on the underside will make a world of difference. I had made a 50's strap for myself in anticipation of receiving a Ron Kirn tele a few years ago. It has a super light body and big fat maple neck. Once the guitar arrived, I slipped on the strap and zoom, instant nose dive. I was really disappointed at how neck heavy it felt, until I tried a different strap. Problem solved.
I think Joe Naylor is making a strap with counterweights at the back ~ you might want to check that too

markb
October 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
You could trade it in for a Fender Blacktop Strat....

Or, even better...

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/VE5XfU6S5gpdY_SWSVqsuZHGyXprM_fmyKpHTdLh4NkIo4CCqJ HTaTyDGK7uBJ-JABFfRtjQUvXJpROVAWoRaHEwnUAwUbJzz4XGbe5vh4qSnzkvd Kk1H8WxY7i2kog4SCas0rOJGqtg0Aci6o3JToA

;)

oldguy
October 26th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I went with a wide, rough-backed leather strap AND a Bigsby tailpiece on my Agiles AS-1000.

That helped quite a bit.

Anyone know why so many guitars seem to be neck heavy these days?

deeaa
October 26th, 2011, 05:32 AM
There isn't enough lightweight but still hard woods available is my guess.

otaypanky
October 26th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I went with a wide, rough-backed leather strap AND a Bigsby tailpiece on my Agiles AS-1000.

That helped quite a bit.

Anyone know why so many guitars seem to be neck heavy these days?

It seems like weight has become a big concern for many players when purchasing a guitar, especially for 'gearheads'. Over at TGP if someone lists a guitar for sale and doesn't state the weight of it people will undoubtably ask. There are even threads asking "how can you list a guitar for sale and not state the weight?" as if expecting everyone has a precise digital scale at home.
I'm not saying that the manufacturer's are building lighter because of this, I'm just making the observation that weight seems to have become an important criteria for a lot of people. Personally, I have never thought twice about weight when selecting a guitar. I might notice if one is especially light or heavy but it's not a factor in deciding what I like.

deeaa
October 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I got rid of my Gibson LP because the thing was awfully heavy and it just started to really bug me day after day to haul that log on my neck :-) Seriously, I do prefer light guitars.

Eric
October 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM
It seems like weight has become a big concern for many players when purchasing a guitar, especially for 'gearheads'. Over at TGP if someone lists a guitar for sale and doesn't state the weight of it people will undoubtably ask. There are even threads asking "how can you list a guitar for sale and not state the weight?" as if expecting everyone has a precise digital scale at home.
I'm not saying that the manufacturer's are building lighter because of this, I'm just making the observation that weight seems to have become an important criteria for a lot of people. Personally, I have never thought twice about weight when selecting a guitar. I might notice if one is especially light or heavy but it's not a factor in deciding what I like.
Interesting. I guess you're right. I look at heavy guitars as a mini workout while I'm playing. For now, anyway. I'll probably be annoyed by them eventually.

deeaa
October 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Weight started bothering me in '98 which is when I slipped a disc lugging PA gear and ended up bedridden for a week. Ever since, some degree of back aches or problems has been pretty much a constant, not necessarily bad at all, but still there in the background even if I don't think of it. But if I do, even right now I have a slight pain in the back.

On the OT, I went ahead and fixed my SG's balance last night. I took some of those tire weights (lead) that have stickers on them and people in garages used to stick to alloy wheels when balancing, before they outlawed them due to lead content, and there was maybe 60-80 grams in total (a bit over two ounces I think) and I whacked them into a ball shape and wrapped electrical tape all over them and stuck in the SG's control cavity, jamming between the tone pot & the side, close to the jack in the very back. Balance fixed, pretty much completely!

And going OT myself, I do think I will have to swap out the passive gibson pups on that SG...they just by and large suck in comparison to the EMG's. When played loud, there is very little difference in actual sound, but overall, they just are way less defined, way more noisy, way more buzzy and all in all, when I pick up an active axe, it just feels like someone put in new speakers or something, the whole sound just warms and opens up really clearly. So, I guess I'm looking for another 85...

Eric
October 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM
So, I guess I'm looking for another 85...
I figured you had a direct line to EMG with the number of those that you use!

Katastrophe
October 27th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Or, even better...

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/VE5XfU6S5gpdY_SWSVqsuZHGyXprM_fmyKpHTdLh4NkIo4CCqJ HTaTyDGK7uBJ-JABFfRtjQUvXJpROVAWoRaHEwnUAwUbJzz4XGbe5vh4qSnzkvd Kk1H8WxY7i2kog4SCas0rOJGqtg0Aci6o3JToA

;)

Well played, sir!

ajaxajax2000
October 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Good thread and good advice. Thx everyone!!!

I listened to you and did the following. Traded my Epi (+ some $$$) for a Gibson SG Special. And fitted a broad Levy strap. And voilá - no more heavy neck problem.... http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/ajaxajax2000/Smilies/thumbsup.gif

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/ajaxajax2000/Music/P1010852.jpg

Again - big thx!!!

kiteman
October 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Well done mate. :dance