PDA

View Full Version : An update, a vent, an opportunity

Glacies
October 25th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I know I don't post much so you guys probably don't have a firm idea of where I am on my guitar journey.

Technically I've achieved all of my goals when I first decided to start playing guitar. Those were to be able to learn a few famous riffs and be able to improvise simple rhythm and licks. Yes I've accomplished those goals, but now I have a whole bunch of new ones. Right now I'm working on my scales and soloing, I also really want to be able to play funk ala Mr. Frusciante too (btw please come back to the RHCP). I would also like to be able to hook up with a few like minded musicians and see what it's like to play with other people.

Well the last part is probably coming true maybe this weekend. Funny story, but a guy at my company left and I got promoted to his spot (and got his nice window office). He left a bunch of things in that office when I moved in, we started talking when he came back to get them, he's a drummer, another coworker overheard, he's a bass player, they both love Rush, we should get together - what songs can we play?

My bag of tricks isn't that big and I only have a few Nirvana, 311, and Green Day songs that I can play from start to finish. I've focused on playing those songs WELL, so while I don't know many songs, the ones I do I can really knock out (in my opinion, and amp settings notwithstanding). I can improvise a decent amount of blues with some flare and of course some power chord progressions but suffice to say I'm terrified. I feel like it's my first highschool dance. So I guess I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know about playing with other people. I've been teaching myself music along with guitar so I'm pretty capable of moving things around the fretboard. Any tips, tricks, warnings you guys have to offer? I know this is super small beans to some of you guys but I'm stressing about this for some reason.

Spudman
October 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Sharing and creating music is a wonderful and special thing. Just be advised that you have to open yourself and expose yourself to do it. That's an okay thing though. It will get you to start looking at what you want to say with your musical expression and also help you find material, either self created or covers, that really resonates with you.

Attitude is important when creating muscular rock music. Just keep the attitude in your head that you are a rock guitar stud and let the chords and riffs flow as if they have always been inside you and were just waiting for this opportunity to be released. Also, keep a sense of humor but also have a sense of purpose.

Eric
October 25th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure I'm the best one to give advice, but I agree with what Spudley said. I might add that if you find you have no overlapping songs that you know, take your time, pick out a decent one or two, and learn it together. As long as you're not an @$$, most people are willing to work together when it comes to music, particularly when it's something informal like a jam session. You're not going out on tour any time soon, so it doesn't really matter how amazing things sound the first time.

Glacies
October 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Wow - thanks so much for the replies fellas.

I'm excited and I think like you said, I gotta keep my confidence. Maybe kind of silly, but whenever I sit down to practice, no matter what I'm going to player I always slide up and hit a big E powerchord with distortion just to announce to the world that I'm here and I always think about what Flea said at the start of a concert once "WE are the Red Hot Chili Peppers and we rock your m**********'n world!"

I let the know that I'm flexible and that I'm trying to pick up Tom Sawyer for them. Just gave it a listen, doesn't sound too challenging, will work on it tonight.

Lev
October 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I'd say agree on 4 or 5 songs before you meet and agree on what key to play them in. I remember turning up for a band tryout before with 10 songs learned off only to arrive and find that they played them in different keys to suit the singers voice. But don't get stressed, enjoy it, you will definitely learn lots from playing with others.

aeolian
October 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
You already have good advice from many. I only have one thing to add.

While you are playing a song with other people, listen to what the other players/instruments are doing. It can be hard at the beginning because you already have to concentrate on executing your parts, but using your ears is essential when it comes to be successful with other players. Remember that it should be fun, so don't stress too much if it doesn't come together from the get go.

R_of_G
October 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
The only advice I can offer you is this... remember to have fun. That should be your primary reason to play music in the first place. If you focus on that, you will get past your anxiety and make this a worthwhile experience for yourself. Best of luck with it. I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you.

oldguy
October 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Good advice from all.

I might add interact between songs, as in ask questions.... most people will react favorably if you ask how long they've been playing, if they've been in bands, were (are) you too loud/loud enough, etc.
If you're all there to make music and have fun, it will work out.

Have a good time!:happy

Glacies
October 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM
The bass player and I are already discussing changing keys up. Some of the music I play, the bass guitar is a 5 string and he only has a 4 string so we're talking about how to move them around. Pretty cool. I think if we can't get together with the drummer this weekend, Bass and I are going to get together at my house.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice guys. Everyone's support and helpful attitude has really been important to me.

Ch0jin
October 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
The only advice I can offer you is this... remember to have fun....

I second that with particular emphasis. The first jam I had was like the first SCUBA dive I did. All stress and running through procedures and drills and technical aspects and then before I realized it, it was all over and I hadn't really paused to enjoy it.

stingx
October 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Playing with others and crafting music is first and foremost supposed to be fun. It's almost like magic when everyone just clicks and the music flows. A lot of good advice has been stated here. If you ask yourself "was it fun?" after playing with some people and you can't honestly say yes then you need to move on and find others to play with. That's just my 2 cents for you.

Glacies
October 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM
Holy crap!

Okay, Im going to grind through this post because I'm down a finger. Long story short, I cut myself very badly in the kitchen on Sat night. I'll live and have 10 fingers but I'm going to be miserable until I can start using it again. Bad news is Im writing a report at work.

Anyway, I had to play with the pick between my thumb and middle finger instead of my index. It was challenging and I thanked god for every rest in a song so I could reposition the pick. I did drop it a few timess, but even with that frustration, WE ROCKED!

I lost all stress about playing when I got there. The beer came out, the comraderie was high. It would have been a lot of fun even if we weren't playing. I had less gear so I was set up first and started warming up. The drummer was catching on to some of what I was playing and we instantly started playing together. Then the bass player came in and we were making real music. Was awesome. Keep in mind I've never played with anyone before... Anyway, we worked on a few songs. Some of my solos were really pathetic as I had absolutely zero right hand technique so I tried to stick to power chords and simple solos. Nobody minded. In fact, Im amazed at the "power" a power chord has over people. I got a little crunchy and slideup to a big E and I can see everyone getting into it.

And aside from having a blast, a few things stuck out at me.

A. The biggest thing. Music has a mind of its own. When you play with a drummer and a bass player... you can slip into a verse when you're supposed to do the chorus. The guys can pick up on it before anyone messes up and keep it going and the music still flows. It's like it has a total mind of it's own. That was by far the most interesting, coolest, exciting thing I took out of it. Im probably explaining it poorly but thats all I got right now.

B. Drums are loud

C. My amp isn't that loud

D. I'm much more musical than I thought. My goal was never to come this far and all of the things I've learned about music might have well been a secret language I came up with, but in working with those guys I was an integral part of learning and sharing with the group. Never thought that would happen.

Very cool.

So I'm going to focus on my amp build more than my guitar build. I need more power and some clearer voicings. My peavey vypyrr left something to be desired when i wasn't playing alone in my tiny office.

edit to add: On item A, the way I described it to my wife was "music is a living and breathing being. I never knew..."

And she says I need a hard case which is cool because she usually rolls her eyes at "I need X, Y, Z for guitar"

Eric
October 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Nice. I'm glad to hear it was such a positive experience. Good luck healing up your finger -- that's a sucky thing to have to deal with on a jam night.

R_of_G
October 31st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Glad to hear it was a worthwhile experience and something you'll continue.

I can empathize on the finger injury as well. I have twice severely sliced my left index finger in kitchen mishaps, both injuries in almost the exact same location on my finger (now a mess of scar tissue). Glad you were able to soldier through it and have your jam. I had to play during one of the times it happened to me. I taped it up, had a few drinks, and played until my fingers bled (for real, not like that liar Brian Adams).

NWBasser
October 31st, 2011, 04:42 PM
That's a very cool story!

Rush takes a while to pick up. The timing and changes can be fairly tricky.

Funk, you say?

You don't happen to be close to Seattle do you???

I played at a Halloween party on Friday and the drummer and I got into this really funky jam. I was playing a slap funk part and he picked up on it and off we went!

It was actually a very cool bass part and I wish I'd recorded it.

otaypanky
October 31st, 2011, 10:35 PM
My old friend Mike used to say that learning to play an instrument and learning how to play with other people are two entirely different skill sets ~
'Sounds like you're doing well at both :AOK

Glacies
November 1st, 2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks fellas. I just can't get over how freakin cool that was and how much fun that was. We're going to get together in 2 weeks and work on some different songs. I'm going to try to get my singing in order because I really sucked trying to play and sing at the same time and Bass just does not want to sing.

aeolian
November 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Just want to mention one thing. If the volume gets to be very loud it is good to get some ear plugs and use them. It is no fun getting your hearing damaged as it can be permanent; this topic has come up on this board before.

Eric
November 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Just want to mention one thing. If the volume gets to be very loud it is good to get some ear plugs and use them. It is no fun getting your hearing damaged as it can be permanent; this topic has come up on this board before.
Very good advice. I find the plugs bother me, but I don't mind using the over-the-ear kind.

NWBasser
November 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM

Excellent advice!

Cymbals, in particular, can be very harsh on the ears.

I use Hearos Hi-Fi plugs with good results.