PDA

View Full Version : 'Open Mic' Nights in your area...

Algonquin
October 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Do you ever venture out in your neck of woods to check out the 'Open Mic' nights that happen in your local clubs?

An old friend I've recently connected with introduced me to this place, and the deal is you sign your name down on the list and you're good for three songs when your time comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j00flrEai6E&feature=feedlik

In this video, the Gent singing asked a few of the folks there to join him, and this was the result... pretty cool how this all comes together nicely.

A well run little local Tuesday night event that seems to have almost 20 performers each week. Many folks are in the pub to enjoy a meal or a pint, and the whole atmosphere is very similar to The Fret where there doesn't seem to be many judmental Folks, just a good supportive crew.

I've gotten up recently with my friend (playing bass here) a few times recently (and onsite support musicians) and had a really good experience!

I'm hoping this becomes a regular 'Tuesday Night' event where I can kick back and listen, and maybe play a bit of music too.

Anyone here have something similar that they participate in? :munch:

Cheers :beer:
David

markb
October 26th, 2011, 04:33 AM
If you're in the Wellington area the open mic at Finns in Paekakariki is well worth a visit.

http://www.klmc.org.nz/gig.htm

Or in Broadstairs (where I am now) it's open mic Mondays. The website needs updating. Folk thrash tonight :AOK

http://www.tartarfrigate.co.uk/events.htm

Algonquin
October 26th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hey Mark, the Tartar Frigate looks like a wicked little Pub for such a gathering!

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM
A new one started up recently. I have not had time to check it out or join in, but would like to. Hopefully I get down there to see soon.

Algonquin
October 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Yes... check that sucker out and join in!

I know I'm one to talk, because I'm really a belt 'and' suspenders type of guy that needs to be confident before I test out the water... but I know that isn't always the best or quickest ways to improve. I'm making an attept to change my mindset :)

hubberjub
October 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I run an open mic at the Cyber Cafe in Binghamton, NY (http://www.cybercafewest.com). We just do it once per month (first Tuesday) at a great cafe/bar with an incredible sound system. We just celebrated our first anniversary. It's been a great experience. The owner used to run an open mic ten years ago but gave it up because he wasn't having much success with it. I don't know what he was doing wrong but, we put out the sign up sheet a half hour before the start and it fills up in less than five minutes. We have a great variety of performers too. From bands and singer/songwriters, to poets, comedians, and one act plays. Last month, we even had a guy with cerebral palsy who was wheelchair bound and couldn't speak perform compositions he had written on his computer. I think the key to open mics is to find the friendly ones. I've seen too many that get usurped by a couple of performers with big egos. To me, they're all about having fun and performing in front of your peers.

Katastrophe
October 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
There used to be a little restaurant in the town we lived in that did a open mike / jam night on Mondays. It usually started with signing in and playing a couple tunes, and ended up as an informal jam session, with folks rotating through to play together. The crowd was supportive, and we had a blast. Unfortunately the restaurant shut down, and we moved.

I'm gonna have to look around and see if there is something in my area.

otaypanky
October 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I started playing open mics and blues jams back around '90. There was one I used to attend regularly when i lived back in NJ that's till going strong after what must be 16 years or more. Here in Pa the local Blues Society chapter hosts one weekly that gets a huge a good attendance of at least 100 people consisting of both listeners and players.

mapka
November 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
There are several around my place. My friend and I usually try and make one a month