PDA

View Full Version : Well THAT was a surprise

Eric
October 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I've been shopping for a Squier Hello Kitty strat for a while, just for the sheer irony of it all. I thought playing it in any semi-real context would just be too good for words. I finally snagged one on ebay with the help of a sniping service and had it shipped to my wife's office, since a lot of people ship with sig required and what not. Well, yesterday I got word that it had arrived, so I was pretty pumped to be able to play with it this weekend. I was already making modding plans to make it into something usable in a public setting.

I fought traffic and picked it up today, brought it home, opened up the box, and instead of this

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Squier-Hello-Kitty-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-/00/s/NjE1WDI2OQ==/$%28KGrHqYOKigE6YOUYYu9BOoHgvu6Jg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

there was this

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Schecter-V1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar-/00/s/NjQwWDI3MQ==/$%28KGrHqV,%21icE6MBMhBm+BOoGZZuyBg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Huh. So I looked up the price on the Schecter, and it's definitely worth more than the Squier. If I play dumb and/or don't cooperate, I could probably keep it and sell it to someone for a decent profit. However, if I keep it, it's definitely going up for sale. I played it a bit, and while nice, it's just too metal for me. It would be a real stretch to use this for my typical guitar playing.

So there. What do you guys think? Any input on what my next action(s) should be?

R_of_G
October 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
If they don't contact you about their error and you can make a profit by selling it, I encourage you to do so.

FrankenFretter
October 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
What the...? It's so similar to the Hello Kitty guitar that I could see how the shipper made that error. Although I love the Metal, I'm not a metal guitar kind of guy. Frankly, I'd rather have the HK guitar...the kid would LOVE it! I hope it works out for you, however it goes. I love my Schecter, it's one of the best players I own, but it's a traditional Strat-ish body style. I'm sure there's a thriving market for those guitars, so you'll have no trouble re-selling, if it comes to that.

Commodore 64
October 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Didn't Albert King play a lot of Blues on a V guitar? Their origins date back to well-before metal or shred.

Glacies
October 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Didn't Albert King play a lot of Blues on a V guitar? Their origins date back to well-before metal or shred.

Those are probably some nasty Schecter Actives in there compared to King's old school Gibson.

Zip
October 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Keep the V. Looks like a nice guitar for the praise & worship gig.

Still, go after the Kittygit. Drop in a JB, and swap the bridge out for a (licenced) Floyd Rose w/locking nut too. I'm serious. It'll be one of your main players for years.

markb
October 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I think the Kitty is a lot cooler... Leave the guard on if you're man enough :D

deeaa
October 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM
LOL I've had the exact same idea for a looong time...it'd be just killer to get a Hello Kitty guitar for giggin :-)

I guess I'd contact the seller and ask about the error. Someone likely just got very disappointed somewhere, expecting a new shredder for that upcoming metalfest...oh, I can just imagine the look on THAT face opening the package :-) LOL but I'd try to make it right. Someone always ends up paying, it's the right thing to do.

NWBasser
October 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Eric, I see this as a message from God that you need to join a Metalocalypse tribute band.:poke

Eric
October 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
oh, I can just imagine the look on THAT face opening the package :-) LOL but I'd try to make it right. Someone always ends up paying, it's the right thing to do.
I know, right? This whole ordeal is almost worth it just for the idea that somebody somewhere is expecting a metaltastic guitar and will open up a pink HK one. The pink hello kitty axes are actually kind of tough to come upon these days, so I think I probably will see if I can eventually get this sorted out with the seller.

As far as

I don't mind the V, but this thing also has those extra-extra-extra jumbo frets that are fairly slide-unfriendly, plenty of abalone stylings and blingy cross inlays, and splittable EMG 81/89 pups. It wouldn't be impossible to use for non-metal, just kind of annoying to work around the pickups and frets.

Retro Hound
October 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
That is hilarious! You may want to contact the seller just for your integrity, but offer to keep this one if it's OK with them. Unless you really want the HK.

piebaldpython
October 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM
lol I think you have to contact the seller and see what they want to do.....at their expense. And if they say keep it.......then you have a clear conscience. lol

progrmr
October 29th, 2011, 01:08 AM
If you do sell it give me a heads up - I played a Schecter BlackJack V at GC once and I'm still kicking myself for not buying' it!

Eric
October 29th, 2011, 06:31 AM
I contacted the seller, and no response yet (surprise). The thing is, I only want to return it if it means I end up with the hello kitty guitar. If I just return this and they refund my money because they can't manage to coordinate getting both guitars back and sending them to the proper destinations, I'd much rather keep this and sell it off. It will be a better deal for me and way less hassle, in that I won't have to ship it back.

BTW, this is a Schecter V1 Hellraiser that I have in my possession right now.

Katastrophe
October 29th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hellraiser V1s aren't in production anymore, but other models in the range run $6-800 at Musician's Friend. You could probably make money on the sale, and get the HK with some cash left over if the seller just says "keep the guitar," or doesn't respond to your request after a reasonable amount of time.

Cool find!

progrmr
October 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Well I wound up buying another pointy guitar today so I'll have to withdraw my purchase offer :) Oh well - it'll sell to the next guy :)

Eric
November 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
So...update:

The seller contacted me and said they had not shipped the hello kitty guitar yet (it was still in the warehouse). Apparently they're going to ship it out ASAP. They gave me a return shipping label for the Schecter and I brought it to a drop-off location this evening, so it looks like things may work out after all. I think I'll be a bit more comfortable when it actually gets here and I see the correct guitar in the box.

tjcurtin1
November 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Well, you'll be in good company....

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/tjcurtin1/HelloRobert.jpg

starskyroth
November 2nd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hey,
If they don't contact you about their Error and you got profit to selling it,
I Encourage you to do so.....it would too Metal so me.

FrankenFretter
November 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
So...update:

The seller contacted me and said they had not shipped the hello kitty guitar yet (it was still in the warehouse). Apparently they're going to ship it out ASAP. They gave me a return shipping label for the Schecter and I brought it to a drop-off location this evening, so it looks like things may work out after all. I think I'll be a bit more comfortable when it actually gets here and I see the correct guitar in the box.

Personally, I wouldn't have shipped it back until I had the other guitar in my hands. They have proof of delivery, so you probably wouldn't be able to dispute anything with Paypal. Maybe that sounds jaded, but I've heard too many horror stories. Regardless, I hope it works out for you, Eric. Looking forward to a review of the HK guitar!

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you have all the messages in your Ebay inbox, you're probably fine. I think that's enough to prove that they did send the wrong guitar, and you sent it back. Sorry for sounding so paranoid!

Eric
November 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
I just operate on instinct in these matters, I guess. He sounded sincere, so apparently that's all I need. I'm ripe for exploitation (don't tell anyone).

I should have it within a day or two, so I should know whether I've been ripped off by the time the weekend rolls around.

Auriemma
November 2nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
When I read this whole thing I thought... What if i was the kid waiting for my Schecter V? The delivery arrives... I rip open the box to find... a Hello Kitty Squier. After the look of a confused puppy fades from my face, all that follows is a string of F-bombs!

Eric... You did the right thing. Good karma points comin' your way.

Eric
November 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Please help me welcome a new member to the family:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-surmyosqeoE/TrR33yw9GeI/AAAAAAAAAtg/c3GxtCLqD7A/s640/P1000052.JPG

And a blurry action shot:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EG-QJqRy6js/TrR3zT7NnTI/AAAAAAAAAs0/qW8iyH3G9r8/s640/P1000049.JPG

FrankenFretter
November 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Dude, you absolutely ROCK that thing!

Very cool. And there is no sarcasm there, I promise. How does it sound/play?

R_of_G
November 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM
That's awesome Eric.
Even if I weren't the father of a three-year-old girl, I'd still think that was a cool guitar to have in the arsenal. Hope it brings you much enjoyment.

progrmr
November 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Put an EMG in that baby and ROCK IT!!

deeaa
November 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm more jealous of that than I'd be of almost any other guitar :-) Very cool.

Eric
November 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM
In use last night:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0TmIhn2ofos/TrqS4Jgc94I/AAAAAAAAAvk/GGFYUDsO5FU/s800/hello%252520kitty%252520ptod.jpg

Brian Krashpad
November 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Keep the V. Looks like a nice guitar for the praise & worship gig.

Still, go after the Kittygit. Drop in a JB, and swap the bridge out for a (licenced) Floyd Rose w/locking nut too. I'm serious. It'll be one of your main players for years.

< I actually used to play the white V in my avatar in church.

But that's just me.

Eric
November 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM
< I actually used to play the white V in my avatar in church.

But that's just me.
I bought this for the irony of playing it in inappropriate situations, so I guess it's not just you. I don't feel like there's an appropriate appearance for a guitar in many situations (though frequently there is an expected one), but undoubtedly there are some sound and playability things in any guitar that will make it easier or more difficult to play for a given person. That's kind of where I was when it came to the Schecter.

Back on this guitar, I was sort of amazed how super-bright and stratty the guitar was last night in a full-band situation. It felt and sounded like nothing else that I own. I guess that's good? By the end of the night I was reasonably pleased with the tonez and playability, and that's the thing: I can get used to an awful lot if I just accept it and work with it. It's when I expect a guitar to be like some other guitar or to do something it won't that I get really annoyed.