PDA

View Full Version : Dam Explosion

NWBasser
October 28th, 2011, 11:30 AM
To restore native salmon runs, several dams are being removed in Washington. Yesterday, the Condit dam on the White Salmon river was blown open.

Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_cWdItkqU&NR=1

Tig
October 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Good news! :applause

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Cool! I have an urge to go on a mountain bike ride up in those parts like I did back in the old days. I mean the general area that that vid reminds me of, such as the Elbe area, Greenwater area, Capital Forest area, etc. I love that country. Generally wet, cold and muddy riding, but fun! Makes the mexi food taste better after. Seeing that river unchained would make it that much nicer.

Spudman
October 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Spectacular!

R_of_G
October 29th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Very cool and done for a great reason!

NWBasser
October 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Cool! I have an urge to go on a mountain bike ride up in those parts like I did back in the old days. I mean the general area that that vid reminds me of, such as the Elbe area, Greenwater area, Capital Forest area, etc. I love that country. Generally wet, cold and muddy riding, but fun! Makes the mexi food taste better after. Seeing that river unchained would make it that much nicer.

Steve, this near the Columbia Gorge which has the Syncline Trail. Generally dry country around there.

I haven't ridden Syncline yet, but let me know if you want to meet down there for a ride sometime!

poodlesrule
October 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
and done for a great reason!

A few months ago, on one of the livingonearth radio show, Dr. Suzuki explained how the salmon is vital to the life of the forests in the Northwest -has to do with the food chain process, salmon, bears, nutrients to the soil, in streams etc. Stunning in its simplicity. I saved the podcast.

sunvalleylaw
October 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Steve, this near the Columbia Gorge which has the Syncline Trail. Generally dry country around there.

I haven't ridden Syncline yet, but let me know if you want to meet down there for a ride sometime!

Yeah, I saw it was down south near White Salmon, and basically in line with Hood River. Yeah, that is a bit drier. From the vid, it looks like that area near the dam must be a pocket of moisture as compared to the general area. I am sure there would be fun riding in the area. If I am near you with time to ride sometime, I will definitely look you up!

Robert
October 31st, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hot Dam!

I like things that explode. :)

otaypanky
October 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM
It's funny how man thinks he can control everything, including Nature.
I bet that podcast was pretty cool ~