PDA

View Full Version : Hi folks.

Gibbo
October 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hi all, just registered, looking forward to maybe joining in some future discussions. :)

Robert
October 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Gibbo, welcome here!
Whatcha play?

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Gibbo, and welcome!

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hi there, and thanks for the welcome!
I play guitar, 20 or so years now, originally started out on bass. I've collected some stuff over the years. Got rid of most of it, as we all do !
Currently playing... 2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson Firebird Studio, 2008 Gibson Les Paul Faded DC ( TV Yellow ) Fender 60's reissue Strat ( rosewood board ), Fender Classic Player '50s Strat ( maple neck ), Fender Telecaster Vintage '52 Reissue, and I also have an Epiphone Lynyrd Skynyrd Goldtop Les Paul, which I don't play, I just bought it for the collectability factor, see if it goes up in value.. you never know !
Acoustics are a Takamine EG440SC electro acoustic, and an old, nicely played in Yamaha FG300 acoustic. I've recently aquired a Delta Blue 6 string banjo, which, to be honest, I'm just kinda messing about on at the moment..though I'd like to maybe take it a little more seriously in the future.
Ampwise I'm using a Marshall MA50C combo through a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab for the electrics, and a Marshall AS100D acoustic amp. Also got a Fender FM212 100W. solid state combo which I've had for some years, but since I got the Marshall it's virtually never used now.
Pedals wise, nothing much really.. Line 6 M5 and a Marshall Supervibe Chorus. I like the overdrive on the Marshall rather than a processed distortion..can't beat a raw tube sound, in my opinion.
What about yourselves? Always interested to hear what fellow players are using.

Eric
October 29th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hi there Gibbo. Nice to have you aboard.

Regarding my equipment, I've got most of my relevant gear in my sig, so I won't clog up this thread by regurgitating it.

FrankenFretter
October 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Welcome aboard, Gibbo! Like Eric, my gear is in my signature.

Glad to have you here!

Katastrophe
October 29th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Welcome!

I don't have a sig, so my gear is a 90s Ibanez RG 570, an ESP Custom Shop M II Deluxe, and a 2006 MIM Fender Standard Strat. I play the Strat primarily through a 20 watt Fender Mustang I amph.

I dig your choice of gear, and I hope you enjoy thefret!

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks folks. Could you excuse my ignorance, or maybe naivety ( I'm new to internet forums )....but whats a "sig" ?

Spudman
October 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks folks. Could you excuse my ignorance, or maybe naivety ( I'm new to internet forums )....but whats a "sig" ?

Sig = signature. It's a list of all the crud we've accumulated as gear junkies and we put it down below the relevant stuff that we post here. Go to "settings" at the top and then to "edit signature". You can then put in text that will show up on every one of your posts on the forum.

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks Spudman:thumbsup

Tig
October 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the Fret, Gibbo! Nice bit of gear in your collection.

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hi Tig, and thanks for the compliment. I guess I've been lucky in being able to pick up good gear at decent prices. But I must confess to having developed Guitar Aquisition Syndrome !!!!!!

Tig
October 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Tig, and thanks for the compliment. I guess I've been lucky in being able to pick up good gear at decent prices. But I must confess to having developed Guitar Aquisition Syndrome !!!!!!

Well, you came to the right (wrong?) place, then!

Hanging out here is like having an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at a pub.

Gibbo
October 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Guess I'll feel right at home then, lol

cheapgtrs
October 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Welcome Gibbo.

Gibbo
October 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Charlie, noticed on your introductory post you were getting a Tele. Have you got it yet, and if so, how you getting on with it? I got a 52 Reissue, the butterscotch one, wired up as original but comes with a kit to wire up the pickup selector as per a modern Tele. I left mine original, and just love it. That bridge p/up just has a tone to die for !

cheapgtrs
October 31st, 2011, 08:30 AM
I did get it. Mines just a squier cv50 but for what I paid for it I like it alot. Finish is vintage blonde with nice grain showing through, pickups sound surprisingly good although I'm probably gonna swap em for what I'm not sure yet. Neck could be a little fatter but its not to thin I just have giant hands. But yeah I think I've bonded with the shape and feel of the tele already. I'm already thinking of adding another but am probably gonna wait a year or two until my son is a little older so I don't have to keep it under lock and key:-)

Tig
October 31st, 2011, 09:12 AM
I did get it. Mines just a squier cv50 but for what I paid for it I like it alot. Finish is vintage blonde with nice grain showing through, pickups sound surprisingly good although I'm probably gonna swap em for what I'm not sure yet. Neck could be a little fatter but its not to thin I just have giant hands. But yeah I think I've bonded with the shape and feel of the tele already. I'm already thinking of adding another but am probably gonna wait a year or two until my son is a little older so I don't have to keep it under lock and key:-)

There are many happy Squier CV owners here (Strat's and Tele's). For the most part, the pickups sound really good. Apparently they are made in the same factory as Tonerider pickups.

Gibbo
November 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hey, don't say your Tele is "just a Squier", I've owned a couple of Squiers myself and they're fine guitars. And like you suggest, you can always upgrade the hardware if you want to. :D

Katastrophe
November 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I did get it. Mines just a squier cv50 but for what I paid for it I like it alot. Finish is vintage blonde with nice grain showing through, pickups sound surprisingly good although I'm probably gonna swap em for what I'm not sure yet.

Sorry to derail the thread further, but give it some time before you change the pups... Here are a couple of vids that show what they are capable of.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/19390-I-love-it-when-Teles-rock-out!

Oh, and Gibbo, good luck with the GAS, brother. My Strat was purchased as a direct result of GAS from posting here. Haven't regretted it for a second!

Gibbo
November 3rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Those vids show just how good a CV Tele can sound ! Who said Tele's were only good for country?????
Katastrophe, thanks bro, and I agree with you about Strats....real cool guitars, and so versatile, a Strat is a jack of all trades kind of guitar....it's whatever you want it to be. Glad you're happy with yours. Which model is it btw ?

Katastrophe
November 3rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Those vids show just how good a CV Tele can sound ! Who said Tele's were only good for country?????
Katastrophe, thanks bro, and I agree with you about Strats....real cool guitars, and so versatile, a Strat is a jack of all trades kind of guitar....it's whatever you want it to be. Glad you're happy with yours. Which model is it btw ?

Yep, Teles can rock with the best of 'em. Some folks see those two single coils and think it can't for some reason.

My Strat is a 2006 MIM Standard HSS in Sunburst, with a maple fretboard. 2006 was the year that Fender started using bigger frets (medium jumbo), and a steel sustain block. In the five years that I've owned it, it's done all my meager skills could ask it to do, and made me sound good, too. I keep going back and forth about a pickup change, but the cleans sound so good to my ears on the stock pups that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I have other, more expensive guitars, but the Strat so far has been winning out every time I play. It ain't the most expensive, nor does it have a 1 piece body, or top tier components, but it is a solid, workhorse guitar that fits me well.

mapka
November 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Welcome Gibbo! Been away from The Fret for a few days thanks to mother nature, trees, and our power companies molasses in December response times. Good people here, as you have already found out!

Gibbo
November 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Hi mapka, thanks for the welcome. You're right about the folk on here...those I've spoken to so far seem real friendly. By the way, your JCM900 stack has got me drooling !!!!!

Katastrophe, sounds like a neat Strat you got there ! Love to see a pic of it.
I have two Strats, one is a new Classic Player 50's Strat, in Daphne Blue, with a maple neck/fingerboard, I bought it about 10 weeks ago and just love it.
The other one I bought from a local music shop about 3-4 years ago, and I must confess, not being an expert in any shape or form, I'm a bit mystifyed about. It looks like a 60's reissue, 3 tone sunburst, rosewood board, aged 3 ply scratchplate, no skunk stripe on the back of the neck, 60's style headstock, but with what looks like the large script 70's logo. The bridge has the modern type cast saddles, rather than the vintage type pressed steel ones..and the rear panel which covers the trem springs has a modern slot, rather than individual string holes. There seems to be a hybrid of old style and modern features, which I find a bit curious. The machineheads are enclosed type but have no name on them. Also,the rear of the headstock carries a gold, oval sticker that says "Fender 50 Years Of Excellence ". Without actually taking it apart, I can find no serial number on it or place of manufacture. I suspect it may be Mexican, but I may be wrong. I paid £350 UK Pounds for it ( roughly 710 US Dollars ) which at that time was about average price over here in the UK for a Mexican Strat. What I CAN say for sure is that it looks cool, feels great and sounds just like a Strat should.

Gibbo
November 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
I just tried to upload some pictures , but it seems I can't upload attachments. Maybe its because I'm still a newbie. Never mind, maybe in the future :)

guitartango
November 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Welcome fellow Brit, nice to see another UK strat player on the forum.

Gibbo
November 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hey, guitartango, how ya doin'?

guitartango
November 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Good Gibbo and you ?

Just been offered a strat for £200 (American Body and Jap neck in Lucerne Aqua Firemist). The pickups don't work but apart from that. seems to be a keeper.

Gibbo
November 3rd, 2011, 04:14 PM
I'm fine thanks, just chillin' out before an early bed ( gotta be up at 4.15am... shift work )
If you're just looking at p/up replacement, I'd say go for it. Even with the cost of new p/ups added on, sounds like a decent deal.
I just found this link, hope it might be of interest to you.

http://www.guitar-mania.com/product_info.php?products_id=745

guitartango
November 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks Gibbo

I was thinking more of these http://www.shedpickups.com/pickups.asp?pgtitle=Pickups but don't tell the wife:D

mapka
November 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hi mapka, thanks for the welcome. You're right about the folk on here...those I've spoken to so far seem real friendly. By the way, your JCM900 stack has got me drooling !!!!!

LOL Yeah I've had it since the late 90's. Doesn't get much use these days. Not many venues left large enough. Sure can fill a room with sound! :dude

Dauphne Blue strat! Nice color choice. Mine is Lake Placid Blue. Love that color.

cheapgtrs
November 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Hey, don't say your Tele is "just a Squier", I've owned a couple of Squiers myself and they're fine guitars. And like you suggest, you can always upgrade the hardware if you want to. :D

Oh yeah I didn't mean it like that:-) It is a sweet guitar but the tele of my dreams it is not. But I am liking it more every day. My other guitars are feeling neglected.

cheapgtrs
November 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE="Katastrophe"]

"Sorry to derail the thread further, but give it some time before you change the pups... "
I think I'm gonna take your advice... I'm starting to warm up to them....sorry for the derail Gibbo :-)

Gibbo
November 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM
No need to apologise, and I hope your new Tele gives you a lot of pleasure....in fact, I'm sure it will :AOK

Gibbo
November 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
With reference to my previous post about wanting to show pics of my sunburst Strat, according to the "Posting Permissions" box at the bottom of my page I may not post attachments. :confused:
I just opened a Photobucket account and uploaded some pics there, so hopefully in the future I'll be allowed to show them.

Gibbo
November 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0697.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0699.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0701.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0700.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0698.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0703.jpg

With reference to my earlier post about my Strat, hopefully these pics have uploaded. Aplogies for the poor quality, my camera aint that brilliant !!

Spudman
November 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Nice looking Strat Gibbo. :thumbsup

Gibbo
November 6th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks Spudman :)

cheapgtrs
November 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Very nice. I've always liked sunburst strats.

Gibbo
November 7th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks. I've always like sunbursts too, but to be honest, I'm kinda in love with this one at the moment...only had it for about 10 or 11 weeks. http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0706.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0708.jpghttp://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Gibbo58/IMGP0709.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM
That is a very nice strat. It would be hard to pick between the too, but this one might win. It would come down to which one I liked the feel and sound of better.

Gibbo
November 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM
To be honest, and I'm not just saying this, both Strats feel really comfortable to play, if anything the maple neck / fingerboard feel just that little bit slicker, but to my ears they sound subtley different. The bridge p/up on the Classic Player '50's blue Strat has more of a "biting" tone to it.....great for really stinging lead lines. Both guitars have their merits, and I'm definately gonna hang on to each one, but as I said, the blue one is my favourite at the moment.