PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do anything fun this Halloween?

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
We did. We still have Trick or Treat age kids, and had a little party at our place before going out for tricks or treats. My daughter was Hermione, my wife was a hairy potter, I sported brown pants and a green sweatshirt, a hat with willows duct taped to it, and waved bunches of willows around so as to be the Whomping Willow. The boys dressed up as a gangster and kind of one of the monks from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Our little town had quite a few happenings with gatherings put on by the struggling local merchants, a great haunted forest put on by volunteers, and lots of families choosing to dress up or at least help their young ones dress up and have fun together. Though I am not a letter to the editor kind of guy, I was envisioning one thanking the folks who chose to come together and celebrate their families and friends, and enjoy one another. It seems an exercise in optimism. In these continuing hard days for folks, it was wonderful to see people doing what they could to enjoy one another.

I hope some of you had fun too!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff145/tzombiephotos/great-pumpkin-charlie-brown.jpg

Katastrophe
November 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Sweet! Sounds like y'all had a fun time...

We went to a couple of "trunk or treat" events at a couple local churches. A "trunk or treat" is where folks line up their cars up in a parking lot, open up the trunk, and make displays for the kids. The owners of the cars sit outside and hand out candy. Some can be fairly elaborate, like the one we saw with a big screen TV playing videos, a mirrored "disco ball", a piece of stage rigging, and stage lighting.

It keeps Baby Kat away from strangers' homes and is much more organized than the typical Halloween circus in the neighborhoods around here. Baby Kat has more fun, too, as she can interact with other kids her age, and the folks with the displays as well. A nearby Baptist church had a near carnival, with games, multiple jump houses, and free food and drink. Baby Kat had a blast!

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hey Kat, that sounds like a great event! That is the kind of stuff I am talking about, figuring out ways that don't have to cost of ton of money to enjoy one another. Very cool!

aeolian
November 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Last night we had our share of trick or treaters, but it was nothing like last year when we had almost 250 kids come through trick or treating. Perhaps it was because last year it was on a Sunday.

This past Friday my wife and I were invited to a Halloween costume party at this couple's house. We've heard that their Halloween setup is incredible and it was. They have a haunted house in their basement with a winding corridor where one person can just fit through. It had all kinds of ghostly things in there, strobe light and ghouls with rolling eyes, arrays of tiny little spot lights that shine dots on you as you walk through, real people dressed up as monster and dead people grabbing at you, heads that pop out of plates, etc. It takes probably well over a minute to negotiate the haunted house.

Their whole house is decorated for Halloween. They have a collection over at least 2 dozen holographic pictures hung on the wall. They look like old time sepia photographs until you move to one side, then the people in the pictures turns into ghostly images. Several people, including me, wondered where they collected these from. They have a mechanized bar tender (who looks like Howard Stern) who responds to you. Quite by accident I found our host behind the wall there running the mechanized bar tender and talking through a microphone.

People were quite into this party, and just about every attendee was dressed up. It was a really great time. And a band of 3 women played a set of punk music.

Robert
November 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
I played with my band on Saturday, and yesterday I took 8 year old Amalia on a trick and treating spree around town... I took this photo of her at school. They had a great Halloween parade at her school.

We got a spider that drops down when a door is opened, and its eyes flash red. It freaked out some of the kids that came to our door!
Is that "mission accomplished", or just mean? :) ;)

We had over 80 kids come to our door.

Retro Hound
November 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
My 14-year-old dressed as Santa Clause and handed out candy saying "Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!" while we watched The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

Eric
November 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
My 14-year-old dressed as Santa Clause and handed out candy saying "Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!"
I like that a lot. Nicely done.