PDA

View Full Version : What I've been up to - new band

Spudman
November 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM
I've been getting together for the last month or so with some guys I've known and played with before in various other bands (except for the bassist who I just met in September). All are experienced musicians that have played out for many years. They invited me in after many weeks of putting off the other guitarist's recommendation to bring me in. I was his first choice. Needless to say they really appreciate me now and we're having a good time.

What this is about is strictly original music that we generally create on the spot. Of course we'll be refining the keepers and work up to making an album or two or more. That's the plan. We only get together about every other week as an average.

It's not frequently enough for me to get things super tight fast, but it's always moving forward and becoming really natural.

This video is a spur of the moment/creation on the spot take. This was never played or conceived of in any way before we started playing it. I just happened to have some lyrics from something I had done at home many months prior so I used them just to flesh something in. We just went for it.

I thought you guys might appreciate it warts and all. It gets better as it goes along.

http://youtu.be/-hjdwYV5bJU

Duffy
November 3rd, 2011, 02:24 AM
I'm not seeing the video link.

Lev
November 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM
Love it Spud, great groove, nice vocal hook, and very tidy solo at the end by yourself!:AOK
Took me a while to find the drummer in the room though :)

Lev
November 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
oooh and that was my 1000th post

Robert
November 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Cool man, sounds like a fun band. I think I see the M13 on the floor!

Commodore 64
November 3rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Really cool man. If I had an MP3 of it, I'd add it to my playlist at work. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

R_of_G
November 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Nicely done Spud (and friends)!
That had a very rootsy feel to it. It shows the potential of a simple groove in the hands of talented musicians.
I look forward to hearing more stuff from this project of yours.
Best of luck with it!
Thanks for sharing it with us.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Needless to say they really appreciate me now . . . .

You really should do some work on that confidence problem. :poke Maybe some counseling.

I know you have been having fun with this. Thanks for posting some of your good stuff for us to share! Rock on good buddy!

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
oooh and that was my 1000th post

Happy 1000th!!

Radioboy950
November 3rd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Love those jams where things just come together. Through experience, feeling and intuition, you "dial in" to each other. It just works.
Nice riffage and tone, starting around 6:00 .
Look forward to updates.

helliott
November 3rd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Sounds good. Liked the solo at the end, too. Good luck with this project.

NWBasser
November 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
That sounds very fun Spud!

I wish I could find musicians with that improv ability.

Spudman
November 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
That sounds very fun Spud!

I wish I could find musicians with that improv ability.

It sure is fun when you do. I've been lucky that all my road bands could do it to some degree. Some better than others. Of course there was just one drummer that couldn't play his way out of a wet paper bag. It didn't stop me from creating though. I'd find another drummer in whatever town we were in and write with them.

The issue with all of these guys is that they are pretty stuck in a 1-4-5 mindset and Brian and I are trying to get them out of that mentality. It's going to happen one way or another, but it's much easier trying to create with people that already have the experience to think outside the box.

Thanks all you guys for your support. Hopefully we'll get to see some evolution as the project comes together more often.

Rockermann
November 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Nice stuff or sure... great improv. Keep up the good work and keep posting the vids. :)