PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul pickguard static

Spudman
November 4th, 2011, 09:43 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out why a couple of my Les Paul type guitars make static pops when I rub my fingers on the pickguard. It's not attached to anything electronic.

Anyone know anything about this?

otaypanky
November 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I never noticed it with mine, but I'm curious now. I'll check tomorrow ~

Eric
November 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM
For the life of me I can't figure out why a couple of my Les Paul type guitars make static pops when I rub my fingers on the pickguard. It's not attached to anything electronic.

Anyone know anything about this?
I thought you as a player could pick up static, though I don't understand why it would discharge when you touch an insulator (the pickguard). Strange.

markb
November 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I've had this problem on a couple of teles. It's so long since I had a Lester I can't remember if I left the 'guard on or not :thwap I don't recall any static problems on that or the two epi semis I've owned. Anti static sheets for use in a drier have been suggested at TDPRI (wipe over the plastic before playing) but again no personal experience, just received knowledge.

Spudman
November 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Anti static sheets for use in a drier have been suggested at TDPRI (wipe over the plastic before playing) but again no personal experience, just received knowledge.

Yes, I knew about this thanks. I just can't figure why there would be anything coming through the amph though because the pick guard is only attached to wood and no circuitry at all, unlike a Strat pick guard.

tjcurtin1
November 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Could the guard pick up enough of a charge for it to arc to the electronics under the guard?

Eric
November 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Could the guard pick up enough of a charge for it to arc to the electronics under the guard?
I guess, though that would be like 10 000+ volts, wouldn't it? What's the dielectric factor of air?

Spudman
November 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM

That's just the thing. It's a Les Paul! The pick guard just hangs out over some wood. No electronics.

tjcurtin1
November 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Oh, right... however, if it happens when you are rubbing the guard and your hand/fingers are close to a pickup (or even the strings?), could the spark jump be happening there/then? Maybe try it with the lights off and see if you can see the spark (just don't let anyone walk in on you - it would be kinda hard to explain ;))