PDA

View Full Version : Proper Posture

marnold
November 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Since I bought my '51, I've been playing guitar a bunch more. As a result, pain in my upper back has returned. I'm going to have to make an appointment with a chiropractor, methinks. I just wondered how most of you play (i.e. in what posture). Normally I play somewhat like Robert does in his videos with the guitar on my right leg. Unfortunately, this usually causes weird contortions with my back between my shoulders, resulting in pain and things being out of whack.

I'm thinking of switching to a more classical style with the guitar on my left leg and that leg elevated by a stool of some sort. I messed with it for a little while last night and today and it does seem to be easier for me. I've read that the stool can result in lower back problems. All I know is that I have to change something. Thoughts?

Cranium
November 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Had the same problem here, are you sitting completely straight? Make sure your back is straight and try to put the guitar so that the back is a bit on the side and not around your stomach. Try to play so that you don't see your fretboard (just the back of the neck) and have you tried to play standing yet?

Plank_Spanker
November 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
While I might noodle around a bit on the couch, I play standing 99 percent of the time. I like to learn and practice the way I'm going to do it at a gig.

I find that my back cramps a bit when I sit too long. I have a tendency to hunch over the guitar. I can play standing for hours and suffer no ill effects.

marnold
November 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Holding it in the classical position means that it is in a similar position as when I play standing up. I practiced that way a little bit this afternoon. I tried other positions on my right leg. Unfortunately, whatever way I hold it on my right leg currently, it hurts my back.

I'm also going to try playing with a strap on all of the time, although that presents its own issues too.

tot_Ou_tard
November 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
While I might noodle around a bit on the couch, I play standing 99 percent of the time. I like to learn and practice the way I'm going to do it at a gig.

I find that my back cramps a bit when I sit too long. I have a tendency to hunch over the guitar. I can play standing for hours and suffer no ill effects.
I also nearly always play standing up. I just like it better. The guitar hangs there & everything is nice & even & balanced & when the music starts a groovin I can start moving about & really get into it.

Spudman
November 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
There has been a recent shake up in the world of back posture. I wasn't sure if anyone here knew about this so I'm going to post it.

Laid-Back Seating Posture At The Office Desk Can Ease Back Pain

November 28, 2006 11:42 a.m. EST

Jacob Cherian - All Headline News Staff Writer
London, England (AHN) - Doctors have shown, using advanced scanning equipment, that the best way to avoid back pain is not to sit up straight but to use a more laid-back position, halfway between upright and horizontal.
Researchers at Woodend Hospital in Aberdeen, Scotland used positional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans to examine the spines of 22 volunteers. They were asked to sit upright, slouch, hunch forward, or lay back at an angle of 135 degrees.
Those who slouched at their desks were shown to have a higher risk of wear and tear to spinal discs in the lower part of the spine. And those who sat upright also did poorly on the imaging snapshots, as the vertical strain on the back caused spinal discs to shift out of alignment.
The researchers found that the 135-degree sprawl was the safest posture as it places less strain on spinal discs and as well as on the muscles and tendons.
Waseem Bashir, a doctor on the study from the University of Alberta, Canada, told the Guardian News Service, "This may be all that is needed to prevent back pain, rather than trying to cure pain that has occurred over the long term due to bad posture.''
Bashir added, "Employers could also reduce problems by providing their staff with more appropriate seating."

Tone2TheBone
November 30th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I too play standing up...but about 90% of the time. My Strat is always near my bed so in the morning when we're watching for the buses...the Strat gets strapped unplugged. When I come home from work ready to Fret.Net my guitar away...the Strat gets strapped and plugged in. Almost all the time standing. If I switch guitars I'll still stand up but pull my right knee up against the chair or sofa to play...still standing up. It hurts to play sitting down....unless it's an acoustic.

just strum
November 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
As I've been spending more time practicing, I also have pain developing in my lower back. I probably sit 95% of the time that I practice. Most of the time I use a throne from the drum kit as my seat for most of my practice time. The remaining sitting time is on a couch next to my amp and I only sit there as I am adjusting the amp.

While a lot of you will prescribe that I stand more and it certainly has its merit, I am looking for some suggestions in sitting. To be more precise, has anyone found a chair that provides good support and not interfere with your playing? The other thing, is there something out there that doesn't exceed the cost of a guitar or practice amp?

ted s
November 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
I practice sitting, and since I am a home player, it's always sitting. I find myself slouching over the guitar often. I think I will try to play standing as many have suggested. Thanks.

sunvalleylaw
November 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I practice sitting, and since I am a home player, it's always sitting. I find myself slouching over the guitar often. I think I will try to play standing as many have suggested. Thanks.

I do the same, though when I play out, it is standing. I tend to hunch over when I do, and right now, am using a lot of barre chords in some Christmas songs I am learning. That is leading to pain under the lower inside edge of my left shoulder blade. My big acoustic seems to make it worse. I just tried the left leg classical thing and it seemed to help.

jasongins
November 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
I had back pain from playing until my teacher asked me early on to sit with the guitar on my left leg (classical style) instead of my right. I can now sit for long periods and be comfortable. This has also done well for my fretting hand technique as the weight of the guitar is centered in my lap and not being held up by my left hand, so my hand can move more freely. It has also helped me make the transition to playing standing up because the guitar is in the same position relative to my body than sitting with it on the left leg.

Katastrophe
November 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
I usually play sitting down at home, with the main part of the body resting on my left leg, but supported by my right, so that I can maintain a good angle on the neck. No back problems here. I was, however, having wrist problems while standing until I shortened my strap. Now, no worries either way!