PDA

View Full Version : Nbad!

NWBasser
November 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sean fairly guessed what I was up to going to GC the other day.

Well, they didn't take the coupon and so I got a tip-off from a local guy on Talkbass about a deal on CL.

It finally got my Ampeg PF500 for $320 and no tax which is better than the GC sales that I've seen.

It really sounds like an old B-15 portaflex, but much louder!:thumbsup:bootyshake

It has a very nice and round vintage tone not found in my Shuttle (which I'll still keep).

Of course pics!!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/SNV31183.jpg

I'll try to post some sound clips later.

FrankenFretter
November 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Nice! Is that a hybrid?

NWBasser
November 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Nice! Is that a hybrid?

Nope. All SS, but it sounds more tubey than my hybrid Shuttle.

A really killer bass amp for the money.

Eric
November 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Cool. So this sounds like a good enough product to act as a primary bass amph, huh?

HNBAD, NWB! LOL ROFLMAO ZOMG WTF?!

Brian Krashpad
November 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
So does the 500 signify 500W? I really need to up my wattage on my amp head. My 200W at 4 ohms is just enough, but more would be better.

NWBasser
November 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
So does the 500 signify 500W? I really need to up my wattage on my amp head. My 200W at 4 ohms is just enough, but more would be better.

Brian, yeah, it's 500. Less than a buck a watt is pretty good.

Consider that more than just absolute volume is factored with wattage. Having the headroom to produce clean notes in the lower frequencies even at low volumes is a big plus of more power.

200 watts can work alright if you're using enough speakers, but I certainly prefer at least 400 with a band.

NWBasser
November 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
So this sounds like a good enough product to act as a primary bass amph, huh?

Oh it's definitely up to snuff as a primary bass amph. It'll knock stuff off walls just fine.:socool

There have been great reports about the sealed Portaflex cabs too.

You should definitely play your new Prestige through a healthy (300-500 watts and 410) bass rig sometime.

It's a whole new world!

FrankenFretter
November 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I believe you meant to say "more would be gooder". ;)