PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so joe...........

piebaldpython
November 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Say it ain't so Joe...............
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-11/penn-state-scandal/story/report-paterno-out-within-weeks-or-days-at-penn-state?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C111007

Needless to say, up here in Pennsylvania......this is BIG news as Joe Pa is an icon. Kinda makes one wish that instead of THIS....he instead had been involved in various "typical" infractions. He's a goner......and not on his own terms either....most likely.

But......he didn't do the right thing either......none of the other people informed did the right thing. I think the kids involved were pre-teen or young teen......therefore, they were preyed upon and somebody should have damn well made sure the cops were called.

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM
And he's done at the end of the season.........unless the Board of Trustees gets rid of him sooner. WOW:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-11/penn-state-scandal/story/source-penn-state-coach-joe-paterno-to-retire-at-end-of-season?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%7C111120

poodlesrule
November 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I don't watch teevee news so I missed most of this, but I read some details about the college authorities' handling of it, or lack of, and it is plain astounding. What in the world were they thinking ALL THIS TIME?

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM
And the axe falls: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-11/penn-state-scandal/story/joe-paterno-fired-penn-state-president-spanier-out :spank

R_of_G
November 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I agree PBP, Paterno should have done something more than tell his boss.

As powerful a figure as Paterno is, he could have (and should have) told the Athletics Director: "This is what I was told. Either you call the police right now or I will." I shudder to think of how many more kids were victimized between 2002 (when Paterno was told of the one incident) and when the cops finally arrested Sandusky.

As sad as it is that such a legendary coaching career comes to an end like this, it pales in comparison to what the victims experienced. I only hope they can all get the help they require to deal with what happened to them.

One more note, I find the current Penn State students who were protesting and rioting in response to Paterno's dismissal to be utterly deplorable. There are things far more important in life than the historical accomplishments of one school's football program, especially when the majority of which were accomplished prior to the birth of these particular students. Get some perspective on life.

piebaldpython
November 10th, 2011, 09:48 AM
One more note, I find the current Penn State students who were protesting and rioting in response to Paterno's dismissal to be utterly deplorable. There are things far more important in life than the historical accomplishments of one school's football program, especially when the majority of which were accomplished prior to the birth of these particular students. Get some perspective on life.

+1..............What's also amazing is that the elapsed time from the story initially breaking to Joe Pa's firing was under a week. DUH......but child sex abuse is a whole 'nother story than being charged with a multitude of recruiting violations.

Still, that was a steep slope and once the ball started rolling downhill, it crushed everything and everyone in it's path.

R_of_G
November 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
...but child sex abuse is a whole 'nother story than being charged with a multitude of recruiting violations.

Exactly. The typical college athletics scandals often involve issues which leave some room for debate as to what's right or wrong. In many cases people can agree that rules are broken but perhaps disagree on whether or not those rules should exist in the first place. In this case it's much more simple as we can all agree that abuse of children is wrong 100% of the time.

poodlesrule
November 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I just checked with spouse who is in the child-protection field, and in some states at least, there is a "Mandated Reporter" law, which, obviously covers educators....

Why fail to such extend?

piebaldpython
November 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
OMG.......it gonna get even worse than it is.......Holy smokes:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/10/penn-state-scandal-rumors-sandusky-pimping_n_1086099.html?ref=sports&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C111562

Briefly, Sandusky retired in the early 90's. The scuttle-butt is that he retired then as similar allegations were then "swept under the rug" in exchange for his retirement. OMG. Investigations are in the works.

R_of_G
November 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'm glad that a game has finally been played and hopefully the sports media can now collectively remember that there are dozens of other teams playing games every saturday. I believe I now know the opinion of every single employee of ESPN because they talked about virtually nothing else all week.

I do have to say though, I was disgusted to see so many "we love you JoePa" signs and such at that game. What he did may not have been criminal but it sure wasn't ethical. Obviously Sandusky and those administrators who actively covered up his crimes are the worst of the worst but Paterno shares some of the responsibility for every act that occurred after 2002 when McQueary told him what he saw.

I also read several articles about a PSU alum who was holding a sign outside the stadium telling people to remember the victims. This man was accosted by hundreds of passers-by, had beer thrown on him, etc etc. Why? Because he didn't bow down and worship at the altar of the mighty Joe Paterno? I know the people of Penn State would like to put this all behind them but acting like self-righteous scumbags is not the way to do it.

Joe Paterno isn't a martyr. He's an enabler.

piebaldpython
November 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I do have to say though, I was disgusted to see so many "we love you JoePa" signs and such at that game. What he did may not have been criminal but it sure wasn't ethical. Obviously Sandusky and those administrators who actively covered up his crimes are the worst of the worst but Paterno shares some of the responsibility for every act that occurred after 2002 when McQueary told him what he saw.

I also read several articles about a PSU alum who was holding a sign outside the stadium telling people to remember the victims. This man was accosted by hundreds of passers-by, had beer thrown on him, etc etc. Why? Because he didn't bow down and worship at the altar of the mighty Joe Paterno? I know the people of Penn State would like to put this all behind them but acting like self-righteous scumbags is not the way to do it.

+1 Joe Pa should be in deep do-do. I liken this PSU mess to a Catholic bishop who just transfers a pedophilic priest from one parish to another. No different. Joe Pa is REVERED in this state. If he had called the cops himself and said I want something investigated, they would have only been to glad to oblige him.

As Barry Switzer said in an interview, there's a whole lot of people who knew something was fishy in Denmark.

It is a shame that Joe Pa went out this way.......but........he did it to himself. These kids weren't even teenagers......and young kids (probably most any-age kids for that matter) want to get approval/attention from sports team coaches and so if a coach says "do this" the kid is liable to "do it" even if the request seems odd. Which is why this MESS is so heinous and reprehensible.

Kudos to PSU at least for firing anyone who was involved.