PDA

View Full Version : ROLAND CUBE 40XL or 80XL

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm looking at getting a Roland Cube....specifically the 40XL or 80XL.

Use would be in the home mostly.....maybe the odd get-together or small room.

The 80XL has a direct line out..not sure if the 40 does. 80 has a Presence knob; 40 has a Power Squeeze.

Any pros or cons either way? Will be for lap steel and guitar use.......rock and blues with a some honky-tonkin'.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.php?ParentId=416

Bookkeeper's Son
November 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
80 watts is giggable power! I have a Cube 30, and it's plenty loud for home use; I rarely have the volume past 9 o'clock. And its replacement, the Cube 40 that you're considering, is obviously louder, so loud enough for home use, smallish gigs. And it's less money than I paid for the Cube 30 - go figure.

Sean/Frankenfretter has a Cube 60, so I'm sure he'll chime in with his opinion.

markb
November 10th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Until recently I had a Cube 60. I never got it above halfway in a reasonably sized pub with a couple of other guitars, bass and drums. The Cubes have a real amp presence that a lot of modellers don't manage and cut through nicely. I heard an 80XL in a shop the other day and the Jc model sounded even bigger than the 60.

If you need the extra features and power then it's the 80 but the 40 would be very capable too. A 12" speaker would help with steel.

Eric
November 10th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Until recently I had a Cube 60.
Wow -- I thought you were sticking with that one for a long time. What does your amp situation look like now? Do you still have the TM60?

markb
November 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Wow -- I thought you were sticking with that one for a long time. What does your amp situation look like now? Do you still have the TM60?

I'm currently an amp free zone, Eric. The Cube would have cost more to ship than a used one in the UK. Likewise the TM60. Mind you, I don't have an electric guitar until my shipment arrives. I'll go and do a Cube vs VT40+ test when I need one.

Eric
November 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I'm currently an amp free zone, Eric. The Cube would have cost more to ship than a used one in the UK. Likewise the TM60. Mind you, I don't have an electric guitar until my shipment arrives. I'll go and do a Cube vs VT40+ test when I need one.
That makes sense. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that comparison, whenever it occurs.

FrankenFretter
November 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
The 12" speaker is worth the extra money, although the 10" does sound bigger than most 10s I've heard. I love my Cube 60. I just wish it were less wattage in the same package. The recto model sounds badass when it's got a bit of volume behind it. Not that you'd use that for your lap steel, but the other models sound really good as well.

Eric
November 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM
The 12" speaker is worth the extra money, although the 10" does sound bigger than most 10s I've heard. I love my Cube 60. I just wish it were less wattage in the same package. The recto model sounds badass when it's got a bit of volume behind it. Not that you'd use that for your lap steel, but the other models sound really good as well.
Less wattage?? Isn't this a solid-state amph.

FrankenFretter
November 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Less wattage?? Isn't this a solid-state amph.

It is. It's a little touchy in the first increments of the volume knob. It would be nice if it were a tad less touchy, although I know that's not necessarily a wattage issue. It does get loud fast, though.

Eric
November 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM
It is. It's a little touchy in the first increments of the volume knob. It would be nice if it were a tad less touchy, although I know that's not necessarily a wattage issue. It does get loud fast, though.
I see. Don't Fender amps frequently have the same issues? I wonder if that's a product of not using log pots or something like that.

piebaldpython
November 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM

So......maybe the 40XL with the Power Squeeze is the way to go? The 40XL has a 10" speaker.

Bookkeeper's Son
November 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
One of the nicest things about Cubes is their ease of use, less complicated than Vox or Peavey, which seem to require an advanced degree to operate.

FrankenFretter
November 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
One of the nicest things about Cubes is their ease of use, less complicated than Vox or Peavey, which seem to require an advanced degree to operate.

I agree, Ron. I don't want to tinker with an assload of dials and buttons on an amp. I don't even like to do that on effects pedals. Simple is better.

I see. Don't Fender amps frequently have the same issues? I wonder if that's a product of not using log pots or something like that.

Or maybe it's just an SS thing with wattage over say, 20 or 30 watts. I do prefer my tube amphs for playing at low volumes, there's no substitute for that.

The Cubes are some of the very best SS amphs I've ever heard. I did think my brother's Mustang I sounded pretty dang good for a little 8" speaker, but the Cubes are still in a class above that. I see them on CL all the time for under $200 (for a Cube 60). I think everyone should have one.

mapka
November 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I got a Cube 20XL. For a practice amp and living room use it is great. Lead channel has more then enough punch and the clean channel is very clean. Still has the built in F/X, tuner, line out, power suqeeze and 1/4" jack to plug in an MP3 device or what ever you want to play along on. Even supports a footswitch. I love tube amps, but this little cube has really changed my mind about solid state amps