PDA

View Full Version : Back from my mini vacation

Glacies
November 10th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Wife and I stayed at a B&B and toured VA wine country for a few days. Took some photos but not many. I'll try to get them up later. Came back to work to 100 emails this morning. Kill me now!

bcdon
November 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Wife and I stayed at a B&B and toured VA wine country for a few days. Took some photos but not many. I'll try to get them up later. Came back to work to 100 emails this morning. Kill me now!

My wife has the prefect solution for after-holiday blues, start planning the next one!

Looking forward to seeing your photos.. I love wine country holidays.

Spudman
November 10th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Virginia? Wine country? I had no idea. Do tell.

Glacies
November 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Sorry, I'll get some pics up this weekend. I need a vacation from my vacation...

Spud, VA has been home to a slight wine renaissance lately. I think the first vineyards got started in the mid 70's and then started producing usable crop in the late 70's. However, it's only recently that the production and the laws in the area have gotten to the point to allow the region to start making a name for itself. I think there's close to 200 wineries here and probably about 15-20 in a 60 mile radius from my house. There are so many festivals in the area and all of the wineries actually advertise for one another to continually promote the area's wines. It's created a really comfortable and easy going culture. The other good thing about this is that due to all the farms in the area and some of the more difficult alcohol laws to get around currently, all of the organic farmers for craft cheeses and breads are in bed with the wineries and breweries so not only will you inevitably find some good wines, but you'll stumble upon some incredible local food.

http://www.virginiawine.org/

We hit 6 wineries, and a brewery early this week. Then on Wednesday we took a tour of Montpelier. Incredible place... lifelong home of James Madison, author of the US Constitution (Jimmy Mads is what I call him). After he died, his family went bankrupt and the estate was sold a few times. The DuPont family ended up buying and expanding it a lot (which I think is weird), but then ultimately were instrumental in the restoration process to bring the home back to time of Madison.