PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it?

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I bought this pickguard from Tone2theBone a couple years ago, thinking I would put it on my number one, my good old 2006 60th Anniversary Standard Strat. I still really love this guitar. I will keep the original guard for re-sale, though I am not thinking I will sell this one. So what do you guys think? Original, or mod?

ORIGINAL
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/40_3JPG.jpg

MOD
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1000675.jpg

Tig
November 15th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hmmm, not so easy since I like them both.

If the guitar is white and not kinda' silver-ish (like the first photo suggests), I'd stay with white on white. I always love that combo.
If the finish is more metalic/silver-white, the tortoise might work better.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
The color is Blizzard Pearl, which is really a warmer toned metallic silver. The second photo (my own), washes out the silver with the flash. The first photo captures the body color better, though it is not as complex and deep as the color is in person. It is a hard color to photograph well.

Here is another, though it still washes out the color some.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/PedalBoard2.jpg

bcdon
November 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM
original is classier. :dude

FrankenFretter
November 16th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I'm a sucker for tortoise shell, so I say go for it! Looks great that way, IMHO.

Eric
November 16th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm not a fan of the tortoiseshell look, so I say leave it as-is. It looks pretty good right now.

stingx
November 16th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I don't like tort or mop guards. Parchment and mint look the best on a white strat. My opinion, of course :)

deeaa
November 16th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I wouldn't.

cebreez
November 16th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I agree with bcdon... the white is classier though I usually go for a black pickguard on a lighter color guitar.

Spudman
November 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't change it. First, I don't like a tort guard and second, you'll reduce the value of that guitar which is holding at a very respectable resale value.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
But I would hold on to the white guard to put it back on.

riverrick
November 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I like the tort myself. But both look good.

duhvoodooman
November 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Never mind what we say. If you get enough responses, it'll probably be within a "vote" or two of 50-50 anyway. Which do you like better? The change, if made, is certainly not irreversible, as long as you hang on to the original p/g. Just go with your gut....

Commodore 64
November 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Swap it out until you decide you'd prefer something else. Recently, I decided that I really didn't care for the mint green on my tele, and went to a 1 ply white. A 1 ply white which just 12 months ago, I hated. I've decided that I don't like 2 or 3 ply PGs anymore. For now.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
When I get a chance, I am going to do it. It is reversible, and I am jonesing to see how it looks. Plus, it doesn't hurt me to get to know my guitar a little more.

Pickngrin
November 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I vote for the original pickguard

otaypanky
November 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Seasonal changes ~ LOL
They both look good. I always liked tortoise. I have guitars that I have two pickguards for. I leave one on for a while, sometimes a couple of years, then switch it out for the other. In fact seeing this thread makes me think I'm going to swap one out tomorrow ~ :D

oldguy
November 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Change it and see how you like it. You can always put the original back on.
At Christmas you can flip flop some new bright green or red ones on there.
That'll look festive with the silver. :)

stingx
November 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Does it ultimately really matter what any one of us thinks? Change it to YOUR taste. It's your guitar.

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Change it and see how you like it. You can always put the original back on.
At Christmas you can flip flop some new bright green or red ones on there.
That'll look festive with the silver. :)

That is what I am deciding to do. I got this thing thinking I might like it. Might as well try it out. Helps me to get to know my guitar better too, as I measure pickup height, etc., and it will make me change my old strings. ;)

Does it ultimately really matter what any one of us thinks? Change it to YOUR taste. It's your guitar.

It's fun just to bat it about and see what people think. I will make the choice though.

stingx
November 17th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yes man. You have to rock it. Rock it proudly!

Algonquin
November 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I like the contrast that the Tort guard gives to both body and neck, so I'd give it a go. :AOK

duhvoodooman
November 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
....and it will make me change my old strings.Not necessarily. Of course, if they've been on the guitar for a while, you're going to want to change them while swapping the p/g, but it's certainly possible to change the p/g on a Strat without removing the strings. I know because I've done it, and will be doing it again with this new-to-me CV Strat. I restrung it immediately when I received it because the old strings were rusty & dead, plus the high E was missing. Ordered the new p/g the next day after receiving it, so I most definitely don't want to change the strings again a week or so later when I install it. But you can loosen the strings enough to provide sufficient clearance to pull up the pickguard assembly and slide it out from under them, as long as the pickup wires are long enough (they generally are). Then just lay a towel over the body and place the p/g on it to remove the p'ups and controls. Install them in the new p/g the same way, slide the new assembly under the strings and back into the cavity, screw it down, re-tighten the strings, and you're ready to set your pickup heights and get playing again. One additional tip: wrap a rubber band around the neck and strings up at the nut to keep the strings fairly snug against the neck. This minimizes the chance of the loosened strings popping out of the tuners, esp. the vintage slotted type.

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
They've been on the guitar for a while. ;)

cebreez
November 18th, 2011, 08:11 PM
One additional tip: wrap a rubber band around the neck and strings up at the nut to keep the strings fairly snug against the neck. This minimizes the chance of the loosened strings popping out of the tuners, esp. the vintage slotted type.

Or just do what I do and stick a capo on the first fret.....

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Well, I did it. Not without adventures. Bottom line, I think it looks and sounds great! Glad I did it. Now for the full story. Captions below each pic.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/100_0035.jpg

Set up my really professional work bench, using my case from MF to hold everything, on the couch. Here she is in original condition ready to go. Set up a halogen work light hanging on a music stand for light.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/100_0044.jpg

Got it all pulled apart and the original pickguard removed. Put all the screws and little rubber bumpers in sorted piles on the coffee table next to the couch were the guitar and case are sitting. Kept thinking DVM would think I was a total hack due to my clumsiness. But manage to get it all apart without yanking on anything too badly or scratching anything up.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/100_0045.jpg

Realized that since I had the guitar apart, maybe I should have thought of shielding the cavity. This guitar is not that noisy, but still. So, googled and a thread on TDPRI said you could use regular kitchen foil. So I did. It was much more cleaned up than this pic, and I got some up on top of the body to connect to the shielding on the Fender guard I was using. Seemed ok. More on that later.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/100_0048.jpg

All back together for the "after" shot. I cleaned things up on the guitar, wiped down the neck and body, polished up the guard I got from Tone2theBone in very good condition. I changed out the strings using the method in Blaze's thread and felt it was my best re-stringing job yet. Set my pickup heights to the measurements I took as I took things apart. Looks good! Ready to test. But . . .

OOPS!! What the heck??!! No sound!!!, on any switch setting. Dang it!!

Pulled the input jack. Looks ok. Called Spud to talk it out, and no short cuts. Gotta take it apart. Loosened my fresh strings back up, and used cebreez's method above to secure things. Thinking I was going to have to do some soldering. Got the PG out without scratching everything up and everything seems secure. The ground seems tight, input jack wires seem intact, switch seems otherwise good, etc. So I pulled out the foil, then took the guitar over to the amp, plugged it in, urned the volume up and lo and behold, I get noise! Not sure what it could have been other than somehow the foil interfering with something. So, put it all back together, pulled the slack out of the strings around the tuning pegs and carefully tightened and tuned, checked my pickup heights again, and plugged her in. Sounds great! Hopefully that was it. I will wait until some other time and get some foil tape to properly line the cavity at some point in the future. For now, I will just enjoy!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/100_0049.jpg

Brian Krashpad
November 21st, 2011, 08:41 AM
That's exactly the color pickguard I'd've done too. Looks much better imnsho, less "vanilla!"

riverrick
November 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Looks great!!!

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2011, 09:32 AM
That's exactly the color pickguard I'd've done too. Looks much better imnsho, less "vanilla!"

Thanks guys. I thought so too. After it was all back together and working, I played for a while, and it just "feels" more like my guitar now. i put the back cover (white) back on, but may take that off for a while too, just because. It was fun to do this little project!

duhvoodooman
November 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Looks great, Steve--much spiffier! 'Course, we all know that I like loud pickguards almost as much as I like loud music! ;)