PDA

View Full Version : Yikes new Crash Pad rough mix!

Brian Krashpad
November 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I put this here instead of "home recording," since we did this in a real studio, Goldentone here in Gainesville. I can't believe we actually have a BACKER who is PAYING for this! He wants to do a video too, haha!

Big news, we now have a rough mix for the Crash Pad song "Pink Slip Rick." It was gonna have slide and harp in the blank verse but we ended up doing a lead guitar instead. Which presented a bit of a problem, as I'd never even attempted to play lead on the song. Or even thought about it. We kept the third take, all of them totally improvised. No punch-ins. Ain't perfect but it works.

Pink Slip Rick kind of evolved. Thought it might need to be "sweetened" for mainstream consumption (thus I also did acoustic parts, on mando and 12-string, not used) and I even did a couple takes of singing like a regular human being, but Tim, our patron, wanted to just do the regular live-type punk rock vocal, so that's what's down. I didn't do a single punch-in (instruments or vocals) last night! Two takes, pick one, haha!

Listen, if you dare, and lemme know the true depth of its awfulness!

http://www.myspace.com/crashpadband/music/songs/pink-slip-rick-11-16-11-mp3-85309513

Commodore 64
November 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Rockin'. I liked it enough that I queued up Buffy's Dead as well. Reminds a little bit of the Dead Milkmen.

Brian Krashpad
November 17th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Rockin'. I liked it enough that I queued up Buffy's Dead as well. Reminds a little bit of the Dead Milkmen.

Thanks. That's an interesting comparison, one I haven't heard before, but very astute I think. We have that same type of catchiness with the sorta sing-songy smart-*** vocal.

Katastrophe
November 17th, 2011, 09:45 AM
That song was meant to be rough and kinda in-yo'-face, IMO. Leave it raw, and don't sweeten it at all! It sounds fantastic, and great note choices on the lead, it's melodic with a bit of old school rock n' roll in there, too. I like it!

Brian Krashpad
November 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
That song was meant to be rough and kinda in-yo'-face, IMO. Leave it raw, and don't sweeten it at all! It sounds fantastic, and great note choices on the lead, it's melodic with a bit of old school rock n' roll in there, too. I like it!\

Thanks, the final mix will be very close to the rough. The lead vocal will come up a smidge and maybe have some highs added to cut through. The backing vocal, which I really love (that's Joel, our bassist, who can, unlike me, actually sing) has two parts with varying volumes, although they're both on the same track; the "ahhhhh" part is way louder than when he's singing the harmony lyric, so we'll set the mixer to robotically pull the volume down when he goes to the "ahhh" parts. Those are really the only changes. Our backer is then going to send it up to ATL for mastering! Holy crap, I actually feel like a musician. I'm still incredulous that he's spending good money on us!

Brian Krashpad
November 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Now also available on soundcloud, for anyone blocked from or having issues with myspace (can be d/l'd!)

http://soundcloud.com/brian-krashpad/pink-slip-rick-11-16-11

Monkus
November 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I like.... i was going to say to maybe up the solo a third or fifth to take it a little away from the frequency range of the lead vocal and to add some excitement going into the verse (or chorus)., but the more I listen to it the more it grows on me. The final mix should put everything where it oughta be...good job dude...rock on!