PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who here remembers carbon paper?

poodlesrule
November 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Do you remember carbon paper, or have a vague recollection of seeing it?

Yes
No
Uh? Is it compatible with my iPad?

Tig
November 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, barely. Having started in IT, I didn't have to use it much, but we still had punch cards and PC's didn't yet have hard drives.

Now were' using the Wayback Machine, eh?

http://moviecarpet.com/iwave/images/7/o-first-look-concept-art-for-mr-peabody-and-sherman.jpg

R_of_G
November 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Wasn't sure what carbon paper was so I went to my microfiche archives to look it up. ;)

mapka
November 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I remember using it. Got your fingers all black if I remember. Also remember had to use the same sheet over and over so after about the third time half the stuff that was suppose to transfer didn't.

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yes, and I also remember the nuns bringing us copied tests using stinky purple ink from a "mimeograph" machine or something like that.

In some courts, we still use the multi-form papers that work like carbon paper without the carbon. Use a ball point pen and press hard!

Retro Hound
November 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I remember it. I read a story in Reader's Digest once about a high school coach in the 1980s that was keeping track of events and was using carbon paper. One of the students helping him thought it was cool stuff and said "This might even replace photocopiers!" :rollover :thwap

deeaa
November 19th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Sure. And yeah, can't forget those purple copies that reeked of some sort of alcohol, LOL...

Bookkeeper's Son
November 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I was a computer operator in the 70s an 80s, and we often used multi-part continuous forms with carbon paper, sometimes up to 5 copies thick. Decollating those long reports was messy work indeed,

FrankenFretter
November 19th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Yes, I remember carbon paper. And I remember the mimeograph papers that Steve mentioned as well. Then again, I'm old. ;)

riverrick
November 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Not only do I remember it....I think I still have some....lol!!!

aeolian
November 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Yes I remember carbon paper. And I also do still have some here at home, we use it to trace things for projects at my wife's preschool.

Eric
November 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
we use it to trace things for projects at my wife's preschool.
Slow learner, huh? :poke

guitartango
November 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Not seen any in 20 yrs, so quite surprised you can still buy it.

Tig
November 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Slow learner, huh? :poke

:rollover
Good one!

markb
November 22nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Carbon paper? It was much easier than chiselling those stone tablets over and over :D

otaypanky
November 22nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Remember carbon paper? Geez, I remember when gas was $.17 a gallon, (that's seventeen cents), and I could buy a candy bar for .02 or a nickel for a big one.
Even in high school a quarter got me a slice of pizza AND a coke on the walk home ~

Damn I'm old

Tig
November 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Remember carbon paper? Geez, I remember when gas was $.17 a gallon, (that's seventeen cents), and I could buy a candy bar for .02 or a nickel for a big one.
Even in high school a quarter got me a slice of pizza AND a coke on the walk home ~

Damn I'm old

Carbon dating? :poke

The price of gas and candy is always revealing. Gas was .38 a gallon when I first drove, and as a kid candy bars were .05 and .10.
Let's not even mention how much certain vintage guitars were once priced versus what they go for now.

poodlesrule
November 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Let's not even mention how much certain vintage guitars were once priced versus what they go for now.

Just curious, and ignoring the "sought-after" vintage effect for a second:
How about comparing then current production prices -bought with "vintage" earnings, versus today's production prices bought with current paycheck?

Speaking of vintage, I found a tabletop movie projector at the reuse&recycle at the dump. Made in 1937, heavy, cast iron frame. I plugged it in and both motor and lamp fired right away! Granted it is simple technology, but just looking how the thing is built is sheer pleasure. I think both consumers and CEOs were smarter back then. Update: the projector sold for $32.70 then. Cheaper (toy) models were 5-6.50, and high-end home models 65-75.

guitarhack
November 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
Oh yeah, I remember, although I never used it much. You always had to wash the carbon off your hands afterwards.

tjw1974
November 23rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
I remember two different kinds: one that was carbon on both sides and got all over everything and one that was glossy on one side that was not quite as much of a mess.

NWBasser
November 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
I remember carbon paper and the sabre-toothed tigers that stole it.

poodlesrule
November 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM

uh?

Bookkeeper's Son
November 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Funny! Maybe not prehistoric cats, but who remembers nickel Cokes?

NWBasser
November 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
uh?

I meant to imply that carbon paper is prehistoric with the reference to the sabre-toothed tiger.

otaypanky
November 23rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Right you are Doug
In '68 I bought my friend's '66 ES 335 and his '66 Deluxe Reverb for a grand total of $200
My 2nd luckiest day on the planet

mapka
November 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Right you are Doug
In '68 I bought my friend's '66 ES 335 and his '66 Deluxe Reverb for a grand total of $200

Funny you should be mentioning this now. I have an 79 ES 335 that I bought in about 85 for $500. My friend loves it and is trying to find one now. Cant even buy a parts one for that now!

markb
November 30th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Right you are Doug

That works out to about $1300 in today's money. Still a very good deal :AOK

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm