PDA

View Full Version : My introduction

tjw1974
November 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hey everyone, I'm Tom.

I'm returning to guitar after about 12 years away from playing. In high school and college, music was my life. It's funny how things slip away.

Some years ago, I sold my beloved 1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse, which I am now learning was a huge mistake.

I'm in the process of putting together a new setup. I've already picked up a Takamine acoustic/electric and have put down a deposit on a used Ibanez Prestige S1220 and a new Fender Mustang III that I love.

Musically, I'm an old Dream Theater, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Racer X kind of guy.

When I'm not playing guitar, I'm a product designer at a software company and I race bicycles for a local Philly team.

-Tom

Algonquin
November 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Welcome to The Fret Tom!

Cheers,
David

Commodore 64
November 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Welcome to The Fret! I have a 1990 Soloist Pro that I got on CL in trade for a '68 Champ that I had about $250 into.

Jackson Dinky reverse headstock, on Philly CL:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/2700993461.html

Another:
http://delaware.craigslist.org/msg/2700545264.html

tjw1974
November 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Commodore. I just feel like the new Jackson's aren't the same (though I keep thinking of picking up a Rhoads V some day).

Spudman
November 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Welcome to thefret Tom.

I've retired from racing but still train with the guys and spend plenty of time solo riding all the high altitude single track around here. If you do a search here you can probably find my photos with the guys from Queensryche. So what machine are you riding this year?

tjw1974
November 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Spudman, My road bike is a Giant TCR Advanced SL and my TT bike is a Specialized S-Works Transition.

Spudman
November 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
The TCR is a nippy little bike. A few guys here have them. I used to race an S Works mountain bike when they first came out. Cat 2,3,4?

bcdon
November 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Welcome aboard, Tom! :dude

tjw1974
November 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm a 4, mostly a sprinter. I've decided that I'm too old to take my life in my hands every week so I'm focusing my next season trying to get a 40K in under an hour, so no upgrades for me!

Tig
November 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Wow Tom, you sound like a bunch of us here! Several of us have drifted away from the guitar only to come back later. I like the Mustang amps, and your guitar list sounds like a great start (you know there will be more later, right? :agree)

I'm a retired bike racer. I've taken off from riding 18 months due to a weird night work schedule, but am slowly getting back into riding over the last 2 months. I was a cat 3 track/4 road/sport XC (but mostly open single speed XC) racer off and on for a few decades. I still have the original Giant TCR, which is fine for my needs. A single speed Fisher Rig 29'er, a Giant NRS 1 for full suspension and gears. Oh, and a Soma Rush fixed gear, which is my main road ride. (they keep me away from pointed objects and gears here at the home)

My wife is from S. Jersey, so I've become a bit of a Eagles and Philly's fan.

Spudman
November 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
I've decided that I'm too old to take my life in my hands every week ...

I hear ya. Nothing like sliding along the asphalt at 30 mph...leaving patches of lycra and skin behind. :agree

Tig
November 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I hear ya. Nothing like sliding along the asphalt at 30 mph...leaving patches of lycra and skin behind. :agree

Yep, I gave up road racing several years ago.

http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/black-knight-2-590x437.jpg

Katastrophe
November 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
Welcome, Tom!

We share many of the same influences. Enjoy, and post often!

tjw1974
November 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Tig, I have no doubt. I tend to be a bit of a collector (I own 5 bikes), so I'm sure I'll have a few more guitars before I'm done. Best of all, my wife is cool with all of it (she just asks that I buy things that are "pretty".... which to her includes my very slick black and white time trial bike!)

FrankenFretter
November 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Welcome, Tom! Glad to have you here. I'm also one that took a long hiatus (around 15 years) away from the guitar, only to come back. It's a nice feeling, isn't it?

Robert
November 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Welcome Tome!

What kind of products do you design?

tjw1974
November 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Frankenfretter, it will feel a lot better once I get some ability back. It's not fun remembering that i used to be able to do something and not to be able to do it anymore.

Robert, my company makes drafting and modeling software for architects and engineers. I designed two 3D modeling tools for our upcoming release plus the overall layout for the product.

Photomike666
January 6th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Wow, amazing - so many bike riders. I never rode seriously until my kids started BMX racing, then I took that up to give some encouragement and chase them around. I got 9th in the 2008 Australian Nationals, Won the Victorian State Series & Metro Plate series 2008 & got second in the 2008 Vet Pro class.

Kids have lost interest now (youngest acts, eldest plays bass), so I've sold the PK Ripper, but still have my cruiser

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3956/bmxt.jpg

Wish I had guitar history to go with that, but I'm a newbie - still on my first learner guitar (Strat copy made by Harlem). I'll upgrade once I've learned to play a bit better :rockya