PDA

View Full Version : Which software?

tjw1974
November 23rd, 2011, 06:38 AM
OK, apparently in the last 10 years everyone this side of Silicon Valley decided to release recording software, sometimes multiple products from a single company. The last time I recorded, it was on a Tascam 424. So, I have a couple questions:

1) What software are you guys using to record your guitar work? (I'd prefer Mac software, but I have access to Windows machines as well).
2) What is a decent software for making drum tracks?

Robert
November 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Logic.

Ez drummer.

Done. :)

tjw1974
November 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Robert. Do you think Logic Express is enough or did you go with Logic Studio?

Robert
November 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Express is enough to do a lot of things, for sure. I have the bigger brother, and it comes with a lot of cool stuff. There is a reverb in the pro version that I don't think is in the Express version, and I like it a lot. Space Designer, I think it's called.

Otherwise, Express rocks solid fo sho!

syo
November 24th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I've been a ProTools LE user for 12 years or so. I use it, I like it (for the most part) but can't say I would recommend it. Too many possible issues with hardware. I do, like Robert, recommend EZ Drummer (great product). I also use Strike in ProTools which is pretty cool but it only works in ProTools.

I can certainly recommend Reason 6 which I've been spending more and more time on these days especially to lay down some quick tracks and sketch out ideas. Lots of effects built-in including some Line 6 effects and guitar and bass amps. If you're used to writing your own drums or playing with drum machines the Reason drum module is pretty good too. Downside is it can't use any of my RTA or VST plugins (including EZ Drummer, Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc.etc...). Still, for the money, a nice package for Mac or PC.