View Full Version : WoW, just saw this vid posted at TGP

otaypanky
November 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Does this girl have a gift or what?

Play on Jess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWoZyeW9ndU&feature=player_embedded

duhvoodooman
November 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Amazing performance, to be sure, but I view these "prodigy" videos with a healthy dose of skepticism. My sense is that the great majority of these involve technically stunning young players who lack originality and (for lack of a better word) "soul". Few of them seem to be truly enjoying themselves, instead appearing to approach these tunes as technical challenges to be overcome. Where's the joy? Most never seem to get beyond a couple of "Oh, wow!" videos on YouTube. Pardon my cynicism, but that's how it seems to me, after viewing a great many of these "wunderkind" videos.

Robert
November 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Who's Larry?

Eric
November 26th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Pretty crazy. Even if it's only the equivalent of a video game for her, I still can't do what she's doing, so to me it's impressive. I hope she continues with it, because she obviously has the chops.

guitartango
November 27th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Did you notice her "thin fingers", a must for the faster player. Us "slow hands" have fatter fingers.

Radioboy950
November 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Give the kid credit for what she's accomplished so far. A display of soulful maturity isn't there yet because she's a kid.

mapka
November 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Amazing performance, to be sure, but I view these "prodigy" videos with a healthy dose of skepticism. My sense is that the great majority of these involve technically stunning young players who lack originality and (for lack of a better word) "soul". Few of them seem to be truly enjoying themselves, instead appearing to approach these tunes as technical challenges to be overcome. Where's the joy? Most never seem to get beyond a couple of "Oh, wow!" videos on YouTube. Pardon my cynicism, but that's how it seems to me, after viewing a great many of these "wunderkind" videos.

+1

mapka
November 27th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Who's Larry?

Sounds like maybe Larry Carlton less the ES 335? :D

otaypanky
November 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I know what some of you mean by the soul-less playing of some technically proficient guitarists. But that's usually evidenced to me not as much by facial expressions etc. as by not having just the right touch while bending or doing a vibrato. This girl seemed to have nailed that part too ~

Radioboy950
November 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I know what some of you mean by the soul-less playing of some technically proficient guitarists. But that's usually evidenced to me not as much by facial expressions etc. as by not having just the right touch while bending or doing a vibrato. This girl seemed to have nailed that part too ~

Agree. And I checked out another one of her vids, which I thought was even better. Her version of Guthrie's Wonderful Slippery Thing.