PDA

View Full Version : Line POD HD users - are you here?

Robert
December 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Just wondering how many POD HD users we have here (HD300, HD400, HD500 or HD Pro).

Raise yer hands. :)

:wave:

marnold
December 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Not me, but I did want to ask if you prefer to the POD HD series viz a viz the M5/9/13.

Robert
December 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hey Marnold, good question!

Well I like them both for different reasons.

1. When I play a gig/jam and want to have a flexible set up I can change on the fly, I want the M9. The reason is because I can instantly adjust the knobs on the unit in the middle of a song, if need be. The HD500 takes more work to edit on the fly.

2. The HD500 is an audio interface too, so I can use it straight into my computer. It also has amp modeling, and that HD technology, whereas the M9 is just a stomp box modeling.

The HD units are "better" in terms of features, but I still prefer the M9 when I go guitar - stompboxes - tube amp, because I don't need or want amp modeling in front of my amp, and I want to be able to quickly adjust an effects parameter at any time.

Now, if I were to play in a cover band where I need specific tones for each song, the HD500 is perfect. I can run it into the power amp section of one of my tube amps, and get a killer set up. However, I usually want simple and generic tones, and a quick set up, which is why the M9 is a definite keeper for me.

Tig
December 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
HD500, and still loving it.
However, lately I've been enjoying guitar > cable > amp (+effects loop with delay only).

Robert
December 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
One IMPORTANT thing if you have an HD unit. Set the input 1 to Guitar and input 2 to Variax. Do NOT put input 2 on "Same"!!

It's weird, but that's the default. It overloads the thingamajars in there and the thingamabobs get mojofied (that's a bit of technical jargon, perhaps over your head).

I just figured this out yesterday, and boy, does it make a difference. With Input 2 set to "same", it gets terrible bright and brittle - basically very "solid-staty" sounding (another good word).

:) :D

I will post videos of my new patch I created the other day. I get MUCH better guitar tone now, since I learned about this "trick". I'm not sure why this is the default setting.

jpfeifer
December 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I'm using the HD400 for a recording setup and it's really good. I agree with you on the aspect of playing live, the PODHD is not as easy to tweak on-the-fly as an old fashioned pedal board and amp setup. That's why I don't use it so much for playing out live, but it's great for recording.

--Jim

hubberjub
December 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm interested in adding either the POD HD Pro or the 11 Rack to my studio but haven't found anywhere to try them out. Even the local GC doesn't have them. Has anyone played both?

omegadot
March 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
This is a bit old now but I just recently ordered a used line6 pocket pocket pod express for what I considered to be a very nice price. I've had an HD300 for probably 6 months now or so. Another guy and I picked them up at some point last year and loved them ever since. Now that I have this little express I find myself using just that at home since I can get a great Against Me! like tone out of it as well as a few others with probably 5 seconds of "dial in time".