PDA

View Full Version : Video of a recent recording session.

hubberjub
December 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Instead of doing a traditional studio recording (as the band's done for the past four albums) we decided to rent out a 150+ year old barn and just set up and jam. We had a friend of ours bring in a mobile recording studio to capture the audio. It really comes across like a live performance. This is just a preliminary mix synced to a Flip video recorder. This was also the first time I played pedal steel on this tune as I usually just play the 6-string. It's a little long, but the sax solo and Tim's guitar solo are both pretty ripping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3xK9UlWwdc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Radioboy950
December 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
What a GREAT idea!! And I really dig the groovy vibe on this tune.

hubberjub
December 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks RB. It was nice not recording in separate rooms with headphones on.

helliott
December 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Very cool. Imagine -- live off the floor recording. I hope more people opt for it. Very good tune and players, too.

Spudman
December 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
That was great. Thanks for posting. What are the rail pickups in the Tele?

piebaldpython
December 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I really like the LOOK of your video......with the rustic feel. Nice playing all around. What tuning do you have your steel necks set to?

hubberjub
December 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
That was great. Thanks for posting. What are the rail pickups in the Tele?

Tim has Joe Barden pickups in his Tele. They're screamers.

hubberjub
December 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I really like the LOOK of your video......with the rustic feel. Nice playing all around. What tuning do you have your steel necks set to?

The neck that I play on this tune is standard pedal steel E9. The neck closer to me is tuned to C6. I don't really use it too much. It's more for swing and jazz styles.

tjcurtin1
December 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Very cool! Great sound, tune and playing!

rkwrenn
December 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Wow, great tune! Dig the PBR's

Cheers

hubberjub
December 4th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Wow, great tune! Dig the PBR's

Cheers

We've been getting a lot of flack for the quantity of beer cans in the video. I'm not too concerned.

Ch0jin
December 5th, 2011, 02:07 AM
We've been getting a lot of flack for the quantity of beer cans in the video. I'm not too concerned.

Don't be. Seriously. First though, that video was EPIC man. It's nicely shot, sounds fantastic, is in an interesting location, and the playing by all of you is outstanding. I'd have loved to have been a part of something like that. So back to beer, really? Have we reached a point where hanging out jamming over a few beers isn't cool any more? Not that long ago the room could have been filled with coke and hookers and people would have said "Rock and Roll Man". I much prefer seeing beer cans in a video than a tray of mountain spring water and diet sprite.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I enjoyed that. It's also reignited my GAS for a Canon 7D. I'm imagining pretty much the same style of filming, but with a really shallow depth of field. That'd look superpro.

jpfeifer
December 5th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Great idea! The location adds a cool visual for the band's performance. I love the Tele sound and general vibe of the song. I really like the steel also, great sounds!

--Jim

hubberjub
December 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
So back to beer, really? Have we reached a point where hanging out jamming over a few beers isn't cool any more? Not that long ago the room could have been filled with coke and hookers and people would have said "Rock and Roll Man". I much prefer seeing beer cans in a video than a tray of mountain spring water and diet sprite.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I enjoyed that. It's also reignited my GAS for a Canon 7D. I'm imagining pretty much the same style of filming, but with a really shallow depth of field. That'd look superpro.

No, I was just kidding about the beer. Any mention of it's been in good fun.

R_of_G
December 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I enjoyed that a lot Patrick. Love the sound of the pedal steel. It goes nicely with the guitarist's tone. Nice to see how good a band can sound all playing together in one room. Thanks for posting.

Monkus
December 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
i really like the vibe on that....very sweet!

60's guy
December 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Great vibe!

I'm doubly impressed with the video quality of that Flip recorder.

hubberjub
December 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'm doubly impressed with the video quality of that Flip recorder.

We were too.