PDA

View Full Version : Your Next Read.com

Spudman
December 6th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I found this really cool site that gives you suggestion for books to read based upon books you've already read.

Neat!
http://www.yournextread.com/us/#

Tig
December 6th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Excellent! The MyMap section is cool.

I've been "reading" unabridged audio books while commuting on the bus the last few months. I find it easier to relax and enjoy a story without stressing my eyes after an 11 hour night shift. I also played books when driving to and from work. It made for something to look forward to instead of dreading the drive. Radio plain sucks.

Currently, Cormac McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men" is playing, and "The Road" is next. Lined up are David Byrne's "Bicycle Diaries" and "Look Into The Eyeball", George Harrison's "What Is Life", F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby", and Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises".

bcdon
December 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Very neat idea, I'll have to check that out.

Tig, I too do a lot of audio book reading while I commute. Cormac McCarthy's "The Road," was awesome. Very sad, but a great story. Another good book -- which I read and listened to -- is Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values.

Eric
December 7th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Funny that you guys are talking about Cormac McCarthy -- just this weekend I was looking for that Blood Meridian book in a bookstore but I couldn't find it.

tunghaichuan
December 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Very neat idea, I'll have to check that out.

Tig, I too do a lot of audio book reading while I commute. Cormac McCarthy's "The Road," was awesome. Very sad, but a great story. Another good book -- which I read and listened to -- is Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values.

I watched the movie version The Road with Vigo Mortenson a while back and that movie was very disturbing. I'm almost sorry I watched it. The disturbing images stayed with me for weeks.

bcdon
December 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I watched the movie version The Road with Vigo Mortenson a while back and that movie was very disturbing. I'm almost sorry I watched it. The disturbing images stayed with me for weeks.

Actually, the book is far more disturbing. It's certainly not a cheerful book but I think the one uplifting part of the story is the bond between father and son.

Glacies
December 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
The book was depressing, the movie was depressing and I wasn't impressed with the writing style. In fact I found it confusing at times. In essence, I didn't like anything about The Road.

I've been on a classics kick lately, a lot of Jules Vernes although currently I'm reading the Rum Diaries.

cheapgtrs
December 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Loved the rum diaries ...anything from Gonzo really. Can't wait to see the film. I'm currently between books. Any suggestions? I Love Gonzo, Kerouac, Burroughs, Burguess and guys like that.

tunghaichuan
December 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Here's another good site:

http://www.goodreads.com/

Also some public libraries subscribe to NoveList (mine does). It has synopses of books, lists of series in order, author profiles, etc. Very good resource if you can get access to it.

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
The local public libraries, and my voracious reader son, have been my reading friends lately. He keeps finding more new stuff. Mostly fantasy/sci fi type young stuff, but still very fun. I have a hard time reading anything too serious at night during this very busy period of life.

Spudman
December 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM
The local public libraries, and my voracious reader son, have been my reading friends lately. He keeps finding more new stuff. Mostly fantasy/sci fi type young stuff, but still very fun. I have a hard time reading anything too serious at night during this very busy period of life.

So then you enter in the title of one of the great books he just finished into the search field, then click on that book when it is found in the list. The software will then give you several recommendations based on that book. Cool!