PDA

View Full Version : Prince playing for a dead crowd

Robert
December 8th, 2011, 01:54 PM
This is interesting. Look at the audience! They are dead. Sad. I don't that is usually the scenery for Prince when he plays somewhere!

I am seeing him next week. Can't wait. It is going to be SOOO awesome. Wish I could smuggle my camera in...

Love the start of this video too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mOUY9rBEmM&feature=related

Spudman
December 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Some great guitar faces anyway.

Retro Hound
December 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sure a couple dancing girls would improve my playing. Of course it wouldn't be worth it once my wife got ahold of me.

Is this Prince trying out for the Superbowl halftime show? If so, it may be a bunch of coprporate bureaucrats playing judge.

mapka
December 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Great performers, crappy sound mix, and proof that corporate is soulless and heartless! :D

Ch0jin
December 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Love the Curly Cord!

NWBasser
December 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I don't know exactly what kind of setting that is, but it looks sort of like a corporate shindig of sorts.

I have no doubt in my mind that his regular concert gigs are much more energetic.

piebaldpython
December 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Holy smokes, Prince could play his butt off.......great axe work. This is really old footage......if you watch the scroll on the bottom, it say something about WR Fred Biletnikoff retiring......so that would be about 1979-1980?

Check out the vid around the 1:05-1:20 mark.....who's the trumpet player? Looks like Wynton Marsalis to me. :french

Duffy
December 9th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Yeah. That was a pretty hot show and a fairly simple lineup, relatively speaking. I thought Prince was great on the guitar and the band had it together. Also that Telecaster is really awesome.

Anyway, the crowd seemed to definitely be way off on some other wavelength. They might have had these pre-conceived ideas of who Prince was and couldn't figure out what was going on when he started playing. Like, "What's this? He's playing "Johnny B. Goode" - I think . . . ". And then he follows up with something they definitely never heard anything like before. And probably "Big Brother" Was watching. "Can't act like I'm digging this now, can I?".

duhvoodooman
December 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Mortician's convention?

Eric
December 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Is this Prince trying out for the Superbowl halftime show? If so, it may be a bunch of coprporate bureaucrats playing judge.
This gets my vote. It's on the NFL network, has a SB XLI logo (which is when Prince played the halftime show), and WRT the Biletnikoff news, it said he was retiring as the WR coach from the Raiders and that he was 63. He's 68 now. Super Bowl XLI took place in 2007. So it makes sense I guess.

piebaldpython
December 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Nice catch Eric........you did better than my ole eyes.

jpfeifer
December 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Yes, it certainly looks like a dead crowd. That must have been a tough gig for him to play to a bunch of unresponsive people. ... Hey how does one get dancing girls like this to go with the rest of your rig. Somehow after watching this video it seems boring to have only a pedal board and amp without the dancing girls. :-)

--Jim

Robert
December 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Yes, it certainly looks like a dead crowd. That must have been a tough gig for him to play to a bunch of unresponsive people. ... Hey how does one get dancing girls like this to go with the rest of your rig. Somehow after watching this video it seems boring to have only a pedal board and amp without the dancing girls. :-)

--Jim

Exactly! I am thinking - advertise on Craigslist? hehe :)

Tig
December 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
... Hey how does one get dancing girls like this to go with the rest of your rig. Somehow after watching this video it seems boring to have only a pedal board and amp without the dancing girls. :-)

--Jim

Yes, but it takes only one dancing girl to initiate a divorce! :spank
It takes many amps and pedal boards to get even close on the divorce scale.

jpfeifer
December 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Tig, you are correct sir! (said in an Ed McMahon voice)

My wife doesn't get so mad about the occasional new equipment purchase ... I don't know how mad she might get if I played in a group with dancing girls, but I'd surely get into a lot of trouble with my wife and my daughters over that one. :-)

--Jim

BranJLew
December 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Everyone needs dancing girls here and there to keep their guitar skills moving forward, obviously.

marnold
December 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
My guess is that he was brought in to entertain the NFL's big sponsors as a part of the Super Bowl festivities.

DeanEVO_Dude
December 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Anyone else see the similarities between the ease he has playing and the ease that Jimi Hendrix did? Guys like that make it all look so easy that I wonder just exactly why I have guitars and struggle with trying to play them... I should move on to something that's not so difficult! LOL

Scott

Spudman
December 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Anyone else see the similarities between the ease he has playing and the ease that Jimi Hendrix did? Guys like that make it all look so easy that I wonder just exactly why I have guitars and struggle with trying to play them... I should move on to something that's not so difficult! LOL

Scott

When that's all you do then you become that proficient. I remember when I was playing 6-7 nights per week I hardly ever looked at the fretboard anymore. I could stay total focused on the hotties on the dance floor while putting on a show...similar to Prince. :socool