PDA

View Full Version : I'm now an unemployed guitar player

Plank_Spanker
December 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
But not for long! :D

I received my pink slip from the band this morning via e-mail. They fired the drummer, also. Long story, but the band's two alpha dogs decided to go all original and never play covers again. They also decided that four or five gigs a year will be dandy. The drummer and I strongly disagreed, and out the door we went.:D

The band hasn't gotten together in over a month, so the drummer and I invited a friend who wanted to try singing to sit in with us on a loose jam. We did this last night, and the cat is a diamond in the rough. It was just going to be a non-commital jam, but it looks like the start of another band as of this afternoon. I already have another guitar player and a keyboard player wanting to try out. Our current bass player is onboard, also.

Looks like a fresh start to me!:D

Katastrophe
December 2nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Looks like a fresh start to me!:D

It seems to me that while you were "let go" by email, that you ended up with the better deal. The "alpha dogs" are gone, and you're already on your way to getting another band going. That's awesome! Four or five gigs a year? Do these people like playing music? I'd play four or five gigs a week if I had the chance.

Good luck on your new project, man!:DR

tot_Ou_tard
December 3rd, 2006, 06:50 AM
How good are the originals? Couldn't you do both? Some gigs covers & some gigs all originals?

It does sound like you'll be better off without the lead dogs.

By the way, who owns the PA gear?

oldguy
December 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Hey, Plank, this is just my two cents worth...

Sounds like the alpha dogs need a new pack to run with.
Good riddance, I say. Anybody that would e-mail a band member that they were being let go... you're better off without 'em.
You guy will probablly be out playing all the gigs you want in no time.
Glenn

stingx
December 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Good on you Plank! If you didn't live at the other end of the state I would audition for you.

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
How good are the originals? Couldn't you do both? Some gigs covers & some gigs all originals?

It does sound like you'll be better off without the lead dogs.

By the way, who owns the PA gear?

Some of the originals that I was involved in sounded pretty solid. I floated the idea of mixing originals in with the cover material and that was summarily dismissed. They want to be an all original act and said that they're not really concerned anymore about playing gigs. :confused:

I have no intention of sitting in a practice room for months on end developing material. I want to get out and play. The drummer wants to play out, and so does the bass player. Hence, the rift.

They own the PA, but I also personally own a rather nice PA.:D All I need is mic stands. Gearwise, I'm all set to independently launch another band.

Time for a cool change..............:)

Spudman
December 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
When one door closes another one opens. Good luck in your new endeavor.

warren0728
December 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
good luck with the new endeavour...are we going to have a fretters "name the new band contest"? :D

what type of music will be you be playing?

ww

Robert
December 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Sometimes it's better to move on - I'm sure you will have more fun in the next band.

Mark
December 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Quote:I received my pink slip from the band this morning via e-mail.

Well aint that a fine how do ya do! Some "alpha dog" ...more like FiFi dog least let a man go by tellin him eye to eye. Youll do well without them Plank....heck probably better without them.

duhvoodooman
December 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Man, I woulda kept you even if you sucked, just to have that shiny new Pacific Reef LP-LE around!! ;) :D

Seriously, sounds like you're better off without the alpha dogs....and their alpha dog****! :D

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
My discontent with this band has been brewing for a while now. It was a relief to get fired. Now, I can get a band together that actually likes to play out - and not play the same old tired standards that anchored our sets. I can actually A/B amps now. I wasn't allowed to with the band - "too much to worry about" I was told. :confused:

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
good luck with the new endeavour...are we going to have a fretters "name the new band contest"? :D

what type of music will be you be playing?

ww

We're really up in the air about the music we want to play. The band played southern rock, classic rock, and blues. While I wouldn't mind keeping a few of those tunes, I want to move up to something a little less dated, something that can get us booked in the bars and clubs that cater to a bit younger audience than we did.

We're probably going to be in the woodshed the rest of the winter ironing out the lineup and the sets. It's refeshing beyond words to start with a clean slate! :D

A "name that band" contest here sounds cool.

ted s
December 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
How about Spanki and the Plankers ?

sunvalleylaw
December 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
We're really up in the air about the music we want to play. The band played southern rock, classic rock, and blues. While I wouldn't mind keeping a few of those tunes, I want to move up to something a little less dated, something that can get us booked in the bars and clubs that cater to a bit younger audience than we did.

We're probably going to be in the woodshed the rest of the winter ironing out the lineup and the sets. It's refeshing beyond words to start with a clean slate! :D

A "name that band" contest here sounds cool.

Congrats on embracing the transition and rolling with it.

Tim
December 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Good luck with the new band. Chances are the new band will be better than the old. A good band has no place for one alpha dog, let along two of them. Keep us posted on your success.

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Good luck with the new band. Chances are the new band will be better than the old. A good band has no place for one alpha dog, let along two of them. Keep us posted on your success.

Oh, I've been in bands with one Alpha dog, and for the most part, they worked well. Sometimes you need that omnipotent authority to squelch the noise and make the hard decisions - and they come to every working band at times. But the Alpha dogs that worked well also listened to the rest of the band before the decision was made. Somebody has to steer the ship, and commitees don't usually work well at the tiller.

The trick, as I see it, is to assemble a musically compatible, like minded group and work out the Alpha dog position. It's much harder than it sounds, and that's why it's called "cat herding". :D

warren0728
December 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
i think "alpha dogs" would be a good band name!!

ww

Tim
December 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
You got it wrong Warren! It goes like this.

Alpha Dogs IS the name of the band.

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hmmmmm..............

I like "Alpha Dog". :D

warren0728
December 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hmmmmm..............

I like "Alpha Dog".
great...you are welcome to use it...i'll have my people get with your people and i'm sure we can come to some agreement on payment and royalties and such!! ;) :D :p :DR

Hogfullofblues
December 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Got here late, but sounds like your already on your way to a better situation.
I like Planky and the Spankers, myself.
Best of luck on your new endevour.

Tone2TheBone
December 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
WHAT?!?! They fired you? Their loss!!!

You're gonna come back and your new band is gonna dog those guys. Keep us informed. :)