PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Cheapie... WOW!

Katastrophe
December 19th, 2005, 09:19 AM
My other guitar player in my band recently bought a Jackson off of the 'Friend... Don't know the model name, but it's got a reverse headstock, small triangle inlays, and a string thru body, Tune-O-Matic style bridge, for about $330. Fit and finish of the guitar was excellent, and the guitar was set up perfectly from the 'Friend. It has two EMG active pups, with a pull knob to activate the active boost.

He stopped drooling on it long enough to let me play it... WOW. The neck is a substantial D-shape, and is extremely comfortable. The action is very low, but no buzzing, even though I play hard, and with heavy gauge picks. Hammer-ons and pulloffs required zero effort, and because of the bridge setup, you could bend all day. Tuning stability was excellent, despite three people playing the guitar, and required no retuning after the first time (at the beginning of practice).

EMG pups are awesome. I pulled the tone knob and the guitar just came alive... great tones and VERY responsive!

Only one gripe... Higher end Jacksons have binding around the fretboard, which is a very classy touch. On this guitar, the "binding" was painted on with a paintbroush. Would've looked better if they had left it off, IMHO.

If I wasn't looking for a different style of guitar, I'd think seriously about picking it up. Great guitar for the money!