PDA

View Full Version : Looping...How easy is it on live situations?

elavd
December 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM
I have tried to use my BOSS DD-20 pedal in loop mode, but the problem is that the other band members have a problem on sync-ing with my loop.

The problem is basicly the fact that the drummer can't always hear clearly the loop.

Have you ever used a loop pedal when playing live with a band?

If so how did you overocome this problem???

Robert
December 3rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
I am about to find out more on Friday, when Myra and I play with a new bass player. No drummer though.

I think it's really hard to do this with a drummer unless the drummer can use headphones to hear the loop. Otherwise, it can be a disaster!

Spudman
December 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
I used one, but like you said, unless the drummer hears it clearly it will be a problem. He (or she) has to feel like there is someone like another rythym player that they must sync with. Still, most drummers are drifty.

What you can do though is if you have saved your phrase in the RC20 then you can use the tap tempo function to correct things if the drummer should star drifting. It won't work this way if you are doing loops on the fly.

Tim
December 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Being a new owner of the RC-2 looper, one must master the pedal before attempting a public appearance. Some of the “Youtube” videos demonstrate that it can be used.

Tone2TheBone
December 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Have him pull a Neal Peart and listen to the playback with some cool ear phones ("hearing aides"). He'll look cool onstage playing along with the sequence. +1 Nah just run the pedal through the monitor mix and crank it up some on him.

Seriously practice the few nights before the gig with him and see how it goes.

SuperSwede
December 4th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Robert, you should try to find a drummer that plays on a Roland V-drums set. Its so much easier to get a good live sound with those, not least when you are playing "small" gigs, just like your optician store tour.