PDA

View Full Version : A great middle, strat, pickup for a Nashville Telecaster?

Duffy
December 12th, 2011, 02:51 AM
The stock middle, strat type, pickup on my Nashville tele sounds thin and weak even after adjusting the height. I want to replace the pickup. Strangely, although this pickup sounds unimpressive on its own, it sounds good when combined with the neck or bridge Tex Mex pickups.

Anyway, I want a middle strat pickup on my Nashville tele that sounds great on its own and is equal in power and fullness to the tele pickups which are a lot louder in my Nashville than the middle strat one is.

I don't know what to get that would sound like a strat pickup and be full sounding in the middle Nashville tele position.

I am thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro or an SD something else like an Alnico 5 type one, but probably a "hot" version. Also, I'm not sure if I should put a bridge strat pickup in the middle position on the Nashville tele or a neck/middle one. The neck/middle one in there now is too weak, plus it lacks tone. If I could get a "hot" alnico II type strat pickup it might sound great.

Any ideas?

oldguy
December 12th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Duffy,

I put a GFS Alnico Fatbody set in my '52 Frankentele, and I'm very satisfied with them.
They also carry some overwound Strat pickups.

Not a big name brand, but might be worth checking out.

Spudman
December 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Try disconnecting that pickup from the tone circuit before you order a pickup. It really opens the middle position up so that it sounds usable. I've been doing that mod on many of my Strats and now believe they should all come that way from the factory.

marnold
December 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Try disconnecting that pickup from the tone circuit before you order a pickup. It really opens the middle position up so that it sounds usable. I've been doing that mod on many of my Strats and now believe they should all come that way from the factory.
+1 It may give you a bit more volume too--all at the cost of desoldering one wire.

Duffy
December 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks.

Duffy
December 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Thanks. I'll try that.

The strat pickup sounds thin now and the tone is totally unremarkable. Both of the Tex Mex tele pickups sound great and have nice tone. I would like my strat pickup in the middle to sound real good, like a strat and it doesn't now.