PDA

View Full Version : Pierogis....!

poodlesrule
December 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sorry no recipe, just an endorsement... my neighbor makes them and shared some.

It is a dumpling, which can accommodates a variety of fillings.
Hers were sauerkraut and mushrooms, very good. She also makes some filled with cherries!

They may be a little labor-intensive, which may be just the thing for a fun group or family activity (if you do, report back!)

Any forumite well-versed in making these little critters?

hubberjub
December 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2007/11/pierogi-title-g.html

While I have no secret recipe, I will proudly state that I live in the Capital of the Pierogi Pocket of America. I have to admit, despite living in this area for 90% of my life, I did not have a pierogi until about two years ago. They are quite tasty.

mapka
December 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Good stuff! Originally from Poland but they are also made in Russia and probably other Slavic countries. Can be filled with just about anything. Most from this area have mashed potato and cheese in them. Can prepare them by deep frying, boiling, or sauteing with onions and lots of butter. I like them boiled with some sour cream. The shell is similar to the dough you would use for ravioli and the filling, well that is up to your imagination!

Bookkeeper's Son
December 15th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I love pierogis, but being a Jew with an eastern european heritage, I am fond of most of that style of cooking, my Romanian grandmother didn't make pierogis, but she made a couple of Yiddish stuffed dumplings that were similar, with potato or meat stuffing, served with sour cream.

Robert
December 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
We spell them Pyrogy (pyrogies). My mother in law is Ukrainian, and a master chef at making these!

We have them often. Love it.

Eric
December 19th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I've never made them, but I will have some of the store-bought kind once in awhile. Polish ravioli is what a friend used to call them. I thought that seemed about right.