PDA

View Full Version : The cure for typical Rock Bass lines - KISS!!!

progrmr
December 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I swear - Gene Simmons takes a lot of bashing in the bass community and music community in general. But I just got "The Best of Kiss for Bass Guitar" and the bass lines in those songs freakin' groove!

If you're like me and tired of the current crop of rock bass lines in music, check out some old Kiss and Gene Simmons. They are fun to play, he often incorporates nice spacing in the lines, and the bass parts in the songs are a big part of the songs overall.

Only issue I've seen with the book is that sometimes it shows a song to be 1/2 lower (in fact every song is labeled to be 1/2 step down) but the recording isn't. Firehouse is listed a 1/2 step down, but on Double Platinum it's in standard tuning. Other than that minor issue, this is a great book with some very good examples of rock bass.

Spudman
December 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I've been listening to Sonic Boom and Psycho Circus a lot lately. He's certainly a much better bassist than I ever thought.

NWBasser
December 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Huh, maybe I should give him a listen.

I haven't sat down with some KISS for, oh, at least 20 years...

Katastrophe
December 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
When I saw them live they were incredibly tight as a band. Gene's bass lines were locked in with the drums, even when singing. Gene Simmons can play bass.

Some folks equate simple songs with not being able to play. I contend that it's better to play simple and clean as opposed to overly complex and sloppy.

progrmr
December 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
^^ When it comes to bass, I've always been a "less is more" kinda bass player. Some of the stuff he does though - I'd never think of to do.

Honestly even though everyone RAVES about Victor Wooten, I just don't "get" that style of bass playing. I love me some funk for sure.

Lots of bass covers of this killer bass part(s) on youtube - this dude is jammin' lol!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYcDbqI22_g

DeanEVO_Dude
December 21st, 2011, 11:59 PM
I have to admit, I have been a kiss fan ever since hearing Alive II back in 1978. I have, in the last year purchased all the old (makup) stuff of theirs, they've alway been a favorite. My favorite band, far and above all, is Rush. Now Ged is a very, very busy player... complex lines, etc. I've never felt Gene was that kind of player, but he was part of a very solid rhythm section. Good music, none the less. They got a bad rap from most (except the fans, and there were many of them!), I think, due to the makup. Never really analysed his playing, but thought it was right for the songs... maybe I should take a closer look.

Scott