PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's "Vintage"

Plank_Spanker
December 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
What current production gear will be fawned and drooled over in 40 years? What will be the next '59 LP, Plexi, or Blackface Twin? This isn't exclusive to current boutique gear, and doesn't have to be a specific axe or amp........but feel free to to put them in. :)

My vision:

Guitars: I think there will be a Larivee (sp?) or Taylor in the group. Gibson is sure to have a guitar or two included.

Amps: Tough one.....................Germino will have an amp or two (no, it's not personal bias :D ). I can see a Mesa in there. Vox is a contender, also.

What says The Fretters?

oldguy
December 3rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Probably not one of these.:D
Although I think they're great!

SuperSwede
December 4th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Guitars: I´ve said it before, a vintage Hello Kitty strat will be worth a truckload of money in the future.

kerc
December 4th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I've always said that the Squier 51 will be the equivalent of Danelectro's U2 in the future.

:)

Justaguyin_nc
December 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Add a Bad Monkey with that Squier 51 for the Mid 2000 sound when the year 3000 rolls around...;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
December 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
By definition anything over 21 years old becomes "VINTAGE" , but what will be collectable is the question ... the early PRS stuff will appreciate in value for certain , some of the Fender custom shop stuff , some of the Gibson custom shop pieces .. Some of the Japanese guitars made over the past 25 years may have some collectability, especially the early MIJ era Fenders , lawsuit era Tokais, ibanez's ,which realy were great instruments and have developed a considerable following and have steadily increased in price over the last couple of years
Amp wise there are so many great boutique amps out there but few of them are original designs, most are copys of early Marshall or Fender designs right down to the cabinets and grill cloth , you seen one you seen em all , but a Bogner will probably hold it s value as will a Cornford, Matchless or Soldano.
but i think they will have invented time travell in another 30 years and all you will have to do is dial up 1958 and drop in to your favourite music store and get yourself a Fender tweed bassman , tele or strat and a 58 burst , so who needs to worry about putting things away for the future , play the hell outta them now I say, tomorrow will take care of its self ... 6S9L

Iago
December 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
that fender Baja Telecaster seems to be a good option:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141502389

at least has everything I think its great on a guitar, not that overpriced too

Tim
December 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Loppers are the miracle of the 21st century.

Plank_Spanker
December 5th, 2006, 05:32 PM
but i think they will have invented time travell in another 30 years and all you will have to do is dial up 1958 and drop in to your favourite music store and get yourself a Fender tweed bassman , tele or strat and a 58 burst , so who needs to worry about putting things away for the future , play the hell outta them now I say, tomorrow will take care of its self ... 6S9L

LOL! :D Unlike the "days of yore", there is a glut of gear on the market these days. It will be interesting to see what makes the cut as tomorrow's sought after vintage.

warren0728
December 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
epi valve jr. that's my guess!!

ww

mad4teles
December 8th, 2006, 08:05 AM
i suppose it would be anything that is deemed collectable at the time ... imean it could be something like a gould or stagg ya never know ...me personally i'll just stick to what i like at the time probably a tele don't matter what make as long as it plays well and sounds nice

Spudman
December 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Ya, the Epi Jr's and the Peavey Classics and Bad Monkey pedals.

warren0728
December 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Ya, the Epi Jr's and the Peavey Classics and Bad Monkey pedals.
cool...i got one of each!! :DR

ww

carp3nt3r
December 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM
my thoughts are the hurdy-gurdy will be priceless, heck, just try to find one now.

carp3nt3r

Mymindsok
August 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
If you really want toknow, just look at whats readily availabe and very popular but still too expensive for young musicians or very limited production.

Sure Mrtins, Gibson accoustics and Laravee's will continue to go up but the Fender Sigs look like a probable collectable, along with botique pedals, tube amps, some Gibby's, early Deans, and whatever the metal heads and shredder heros are playing. Just ask the HS kids what they'd like to have right now.

Sure guys are collection the custom shop axes but those are collectable already. It's the really nice but dead-common stuff that'll bring the bucks.

Do you remember when used Corvetts were just 'used cars'? When guys bought Martin D-18 because they couldnt afford a D-28? When old tube amps were just 'old amps'? Have you noticed that, now that most of the really good 60's Fenders and Gibsons are bought up, that even the " Bad Years" 70's guitars are going up in price?

Keep a weather eye on the Masterbuilt Epiphone accoustics. Theyre great guitars and I think that they'll become increasingly sought after as the years go by and time takes it's toll.

Buy a John Mayer Strat or EJ Strat and store it under the bed for a couple decades! They're selling those axes in PARTS on Ebay! Loll!! :thwap:

Buzzo
October 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
The 80's Fender II amp series will be worth its weight in gold, also vintage Garnets and Traynors.

marnold
October 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Of course, I never replied in the first place so I will now. I'd guess that as my generation gets older, some of the old Kramers, etc., might appreciate in value assuming any of them survived the 80s. I'd think that San Dimas Charvels would fall into that category as well.

hubberjub
October 10th, 2008, 05:57 AM
The 80's Fender II amp series will be worth its weight in gold, also vintage Garnets and Traynors.
Those are the Paul Rivera designed amps, right? They are great for the money.

I'd think that San Dimas Charvels would fall into that category as well.

Considering how expensive the reissues are I'd say your right.

Buzzo
October 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Ya the Fender II series was designed by Paul Rivera and Ed Jahns. Theres a great webpage about the Fender Princeton II.

http://www.geocities.com/princerev2/

I have one and think its the greatist amp ever!

Brian Krashpad
October 14th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I wonder about the DeArmond setnecks Fender/Guild made. There's a fairly limited number and they have a pretty good reputation. You see fewer and fewer used ones for sale.

Maybe some of the Fender experiments from the 90's that didn't last very long could be of interest too-- the California Series or the Tex-Mexes.

araT
October 15th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I'm hoping the first run of the Gibson Robots will end up rather collectible :D

Andy
October 15th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I don't think many of todays products will reach the status of a 58 les paul , old martin, plexi...

the market is flooded with gear these days .mabey some of the boutique offerings that are in very limited quantity.

kind of like beany babies ,over saturation

ZMAN
October 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
As we all know the "collectors" item cannot be fabricated. They are collectable for a reason. Usually low productions numbers and above average quality.
In todays guitar market I would say some of the Japanese Epis like the Standard and the Custom might qualify. The JV Squiers became collectable for the above reasons.
In the US I would think anything that was still made here will probably be a collector in the next 40 years because of the glut of off shore product.
My 1990 ES335 will be 50 then and will definitely be a collector. If there is still electricity powering things!

kerc
October 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Reverends!

marnold
October 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Reverends!
Yes?

Oh! You mean the guitar. Sorry.

kerc
October 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yes?

Oh! You mean the guitar. Sorry.

Well, you'll eventually be vintage too! :D

marnold
October 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Well, you'll eventually be vintage too! :D
That seems to be happening at a rather alarming rate. I don't think I'll be collectible, but I will be rare. Unique, even.

Ch0jin
October 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Without a doubt anything from the Maton MS2000 range.

stingx
October 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
With the current global economic crisis tomorrow's vintage will be how much water you have stored up and can barter for food. This vintage nonsense goes the way of the Dodo bird once the remaining baby boomers drop dead.

Duff
October 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
True Stingx. Vintage is relative and baby boomers really like old LP's and strats and things like that. We put a high value on them. The coming generations like shredding guitars and things like that. They may be the new Vintage items. You can't always predict what will be collectable.

The World Economic Crisis may have some positive effects in the end. Notice how the price of gas came down like a dollar already?

Some of these companies are going to fall during the extended crisis if the global economy continues to suffer. It is highly competitive among these guitar and amp companies as it is and it will be getting more competitive. Some of the companies will close or be bought out by others. No telling where that will take us.

I doubt that the business planners at the guitar companies have much of an idea where things are going either. It's a day by day thing. Asian markets crashing. Global economic crisis. The Asians are rethinking their strategy right now as we read these posts. Who knows what they are saying. Independence is probably one of the words, just like we use "energy independence" they are probably stressing independence from the massive influence of the US economy on the world economy. Places in Asia are breaking into the big time and they don't want to see the curtain drop on their act. Capitalizm is a new thing to them and I'm sure they will struggle very hard to preserve it and do everything to make it thrive.

Hopefully the plants making musical equipment will not have to close and the golden age of guitar and amp making/selling/buying will not be over. If it does crash and a lot of those factories close a lot of our gear will be vintage and collectable. Hopefully it won't come to that but no one knows. If people panic and pull their money out of all those stocks and investments and banks, the industrial scene will change. Production will come to a standstill. Entire lines of products and whole companies will be eliminated, by necessity.

This is why it is so important that this crisis gets handled immediately, before the whole world panics and people everywhere pull their money out of their investments. Think about it. People we know are losing money on stocks right now, big time. As well as other investments. Look at how the prices of Epiphone LP standards, for instance, jumped up in the last three years or so. The World economic crisis means a World industrial crisis as well.

One thing I believe though, is that we don't know which guitars we have will become collector's items in the long run. Like you said, Stingx, times change and these guitars that are collectors items to us may not be valued highly by the collectors of the future that are looking for Dimebag Darrell type things, etc.

That's why I play my guitars and enjoy them and try not to get all upset when I ding one up or scratch it. I don't like to do these things, but I'm going to enjoy my guitars and amps and I'm not saving them for the next guy. That's just me. I'm not misusing my stuff, I don't think. Maybe sometimes I am but if so I shouldn't. But the mark of time is going to show on my stuff and it's going to be the real footprint and not some artificial thing.

After all you can't really copy vintage. Vintage is vintage. Relic'd is relic'd. You can't fake it. Ironically, I like vintage style guitars that are being manufactured today, like the VM strats and basses.

I think you make some good points Stingx.

Duffy

stingx
October 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
The only items possibly sought after down the road will be limited run Customs and, maybe, signatures from Fender or Gibson. If you think you're gonna retire on what you have now don't hold your breath.

Ch0jin
October 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM
20 Feb 2080
For Sale
Mint condition "Slash" Signature Guitar Hero controller (not re-issue!!)

This controller is the real deal. Made in China in 2007, this "pre meltdown" GH Signature Controller was one of the last ones made before the factory relocated to Kazekstan after the global economic collapse of 2008. If you're reading this ad then you know that Chinese made quality is what it's all about. I'm sorry I can't post serial numbers online. Too many fakes around!

This controller has only been used a couple of times at home and never gigged online. Hefty ABS "Tone" Plastics used throughout and high gloss dyes used on the controller buttons means sustain for days.

This is your chance to own a vintage classic. The price for these just keeps going up so get in now!!

araT
November 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM
20 Feb 2080
For Sale
Mint condition "Slash" Signature Guitar Hero controller (not re-issue!!)

This controller is the real deal. Made in China in 2007, this "pre meltdown" GH Signature Controller was one of the last ones made before the factory relocated to Kazekstan after the global economic collapse of 2008. If you're reading this ad then you know that Chinese made quality is what it's all about. I'm sorry I can't post serial numbers online. Too many fakes around!

This controller has only been used a couple of times at home and never gigged online. Hefty ABS "Tone" Plastics used throughout and high gloss dyes used on the controller buttons means sustain for days.

This is your chance to own a vintage classic. The price for these just keeps going up so get in now!!

:rotflmao: :bravo: better buy up supplies now!

Fab4
November 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
What becomes "hot" will depend a lot on whether today's or tomorrow's guitar heroes play a particular model. Late '50s Pauls were just "old guitars" (and Gibson had discontinued them because of poor sales) until Clapton, Page, Beck and Allman started using them.

Of course, rarity figures in, too, but a lot of truly rare guitars aren't worth much because they don't have any star power attached to them. And today's guitars are cranked out by the gozillions, so even the "collector" series and reissue models won't be as rare as the '50s/'60s originals.

That said, I think the high-end guitars being made today will be seen as the very best EVER made. Today's makers know more about what makes a great guitar great than the "greats" ever did. While we still have the wood and the resources, we'll be in the golden age. These are the good old days, so get the guitar of your dreams and hang on to it. As the poet said, "Tomorrow never knows."

Personally, I have high hopes for my Grosh Electra Jet, but only time will tell...