PDA

View Full Version : What is it about the Tele?

jpfeifer
December 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I'm finding that I like Tele's more and more as I get older. What's up with that?
Do you notice the same thing?

For me I think this is because I am finding so many examples of Tele sounds being used in classic recordings over the years, and my tastes have changed. I'm listening to more of the old-school stuff now that I didn't appreciate as much when I was younger. I also think that the Tele tends to reflect the personality of the player more than other guitars because it's so simple. Danny Gatton did so many cool things with that simple guitar that may not have been as effective on some other type of guitar.

Anyway, just wondering why Tele's are now appealing to me after all these years of thinking that they were the ugly step child of the guitar world. I only have 1 Tele-style guitar now and it's not even a stock kind of setup. I need to get one of those :-) G.A.S. ... here we go again.

--Jim

guitarhack
December 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I hear you. I have acquired three tele-style guitars over the last couple of years (an SX thinline copy, a Peavey Generation EXP ACM, and a Peavey Generation S-3), and find myself picking them up more often than my other guitars. The S-3 is an especially comfortable guitar to play, very light and the neck fits my hand very well.

I've gotten into a lot of country music recently which may explain my fascination with the teles, and like you, have discovered that teles were used in many more classic rock songs than I realized.

jpfeifer
December 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, this seems to be a well-kept secret. The Tele is a workhorse guitar. It is used to record so much music yet it is not often the first choice people think of when they want a guitar to perform with. Jimmy Page recorded so many of the early Led Zeppelin tracks with a Tele, yet everyone associates him with the Les Paul. You hear a Tele on so much of the great R&B records of the 60s, for example, in addition to the countless country records, funk, surf music, and pop music over the years. It just seems to be that sound that works so well for rhythm parts that lay well in the mix with other instruments, yet it's often overlooked as a main guitar. I suppose I'm just now discovering this.

--Jim

Tig
December 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
The January Guitar World has a huge article about Tele's and their history worth a read.

I love 'em!

Eric
December 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Teles are cool for whatever reason these days. Check out any indie band to see some telecasters and semi-hollows.

I think they're pretty cool guitars. Very soon, I will have a couple of tele-ish guitars.

R_of_G
December 16th, 2011, 02:06 PM
They're extremely versatile guitars, right for any number of musical situations. I have no doubt that my next instrument purchase will be a Tele-style guitar.

Spudman
December 16th, 2011, 03:33 PM
The other guitarist in my band has a Tele that his dad in Dallas made for him. He's a pretty well known area builder. I don't particularly like the way his Tele feels but OMG that thing sounds amazing. It has Van Zandt pickups and I love how it sounds. One of these days I hope to find "the one" that blows me away and I can end this unrequited Tele lust once and for all.

FWIW - I love Richie Kotzen's Tele sounds.

mapka
December 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I've owned my Tele since the early '90s but it was never my favorite until I changed the pups and put in a 4 position switch. Now it is without a doubt my favorite guitar. Yes there are some songs that need the bite of a humbucker guitar but for most of the stuff I like to play it fits the bill perfectly. Love the size and weight of the body and the feel of the neck

markb
December 17th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Welcome to the brotherhood. Your decoder ring is in the post :D

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I like my CV tele quite a lot, and played it mostly when I first got it. I think then I felt like you do now for a bit. Also, I really, really like that Twang King tele you have Jim. Now I am back to enjoying my tele, but also loving my strat and my Vik. Changing out that pick guard on my strat really got me connected to it again and I have really been loving it lately. Once in a while, the tele seems a bit harsh to me after I have been playing the other two quite a bit. But other times, it is just right. It is certainly a nice guitar. I wonder about adding a TV Jones or Minibucker in the neck or setting it up so I can swap it out.

Tig
December 17th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the brotherhood. Your decoder ring is in the post :D

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

http://youtu.be/zdA__2tKoIU

Tig
December 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM
This was my desktop wallpaper for a while.
(click image for the full size if you want it)
http://home.comcast.net/%7Espamspamspam/Telecasters.jpg (http://home.comcast.net/%7Espamspamspam/Telecasters.jpg)

Katastrophe
December 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Teles are cool to me because of their simplicity, and their versatility. A Tele, stock, can be at home in any genre of music and sound great. The only thing about a Tele is that you can't really hide on one. It's gonna sound like you, and every little mistake and bobble is gonna come out.

A couple of years ago, right after the Egnater Rebel 20 head came out, I was at a GC and grabbed an American Deluxe Tele off the wall to test out the amph. Now, mind you, I'm normally fairly reserved in a music store because I hate being one of those "guys who shred to look cool in music stores." But, it sounded so good that I couldn't help myself. Had a blast playing that Tele. I had to resign myself that I would never be able to afford one like it, but the Tele GAS has remained.

Radioboy950
December 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Never really bonded with the American Standard I bought a few years ago. Sold it. Now...I love my Strat. It just feels better and sounds right.

Tig
December 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
If you guys get a chance to try the American Special Tele, go for it. I was really impressed with the Texas Special pickups and greasebucket circuitry, and the quality was excellent. For $800-850, it is an excellent bang for the buck.

http://media.fmicdirect.com/fender/images/products/guitars/0115802300_frt_wlg_001.jpghttp://media.fmicdirect.com/fender/images/products/guitars/0115802305_frt_wlg_001.jpg

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
That sounds like it might have a little fatter tone than the sometimes icepicky tele tones that can occur. I have heard good things, and think I tried and liked, that greasebucket ciruitry. I seem to remember trying a strat with it one time.

Jipes
December 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Very good question :) I think it has to do for myself as a sense of urgency. Telecaster immediately prompt me to play more agressive licks and rock'n roll chords. After playing consecutively a Gibson 335, a 57 Strat which I love to play for years until I had to play in my Soul band with a full horn section and where only my MIJ Esquire coud "cut" enough trough the mix.

After that I was looking for a fuller sound on a Telecaster (for my Blues Trio) and ending up playing a "72" Thinline Custom with the Wide Range pickups. So it's kind of a full circle going from humbuckers to single coil on a Strat and then on Fender humbuckers on a Telecaster thinline :dude

Duffy
December 21st, 2011, 01:53 AM
I like the telecaster a lot. I have a Fender Nashville and a Squier BSB CV that I like a lot, and a MIM I'm working on.

George Harrison played a rosewood telecaster at their last live concert, the Rooftop Concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiAl84ipIk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5g8wXE__Y&feature=related