PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Finish on Epi 61SG special?

sirplayalot
December 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I got my 50th anniversary 61 SG special today. I'm very happy with the guitar except the cherry finish has such contrasting dark and light lines that the guitar looks like it has stripes. Does anyone know why this is?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EG61CHNH/

markb
December 17th, 2011, 04:34 AM
It'll be made of sapele, sometimes called "african mahogany". It is quite often stripy in appearance although it varies. Many builders just call it "mahogany" these days. The tree is not even related to the South American mahogany.

sirplayalot
December 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
It'll be made of sapele, sometimes called "african mahogany". It is quite often stripy in appearance although it varies. Many builders just call it "mahogany" these days. The tree is not even related to the South American mahogany.

Thanks! that explains it
I also notice the neck pickup seems a little hotter than the bridge pickup even with the same string distance. Not a problem just a comment as I like both pickups on most the time. I really dig this guitar after a of being a Fender guy my whole life I'm liking the fatter tone and easier feel I have now with my two Epi's.

markb
December 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I find you need to adjust Gibson front pickups surprisingly low to balance with the back. I'd back them both right off and raise a little at a time until you hit the tonal sweet spot then adjust slightly for balance.