PDA

View Full Version : Ordered SD Alnico II Pro tele pups, question.

Duffy
December 17th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I have a '10 MIM Fender standard Telecaster that has stock ceramic pickups that are not RWRP and therefore are not noise cancelling in the middle switch position. Additionally these stock pickups are very noisy in all positions and I do not care for the tone that I get out of them thru my DRRI amp, or any other amp.

After a lot of thought I finally decided upon a set of pickups to try and today I ordered a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro telecaster pickups.

My question is for those who may have some knowledge about this set of pickups. What should I expect from the SD Alnico II Pro tele set of pickups?

Any idea as to how these will compare to the sound I get from the stock Fender MIM standard tele pickups?
Feedback is totally appreciated.

Duffy
December 18th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I think I'm going to really like these new pickups I ordered, whenever they finally come in. I have never liked the sound of these stock pickups and if the Nashville Guitar Center wasn't so noisy and I wasn't in such a hurry the evening I bought the guitar (combined with my preconceived idea of what I was getting) I don't think I would have bought that particular telecaster. My MIM Nashville tele sounds so much better with its different pickups, that they are incomparable.

I was thinking of changing my order to include the JD Jerry Donahue alnico II Seymour Duncan lead pickup instead of the standard SD Alnico II Pro lead pickup. I decided to keep the standard one. At some point in the future I might get the JD for a different tele.

These Alnico II Pro tele pickups are supposed to sound very good and very musical. They are low output pickups and low output is preferred by a lot of players because they sound so musical. By musical I guess they are referring to the sweeter, less ice picky, full sound they produce. This set is supposed to also sound very good thru an overdriven amp, for old school type rock and blues. I will share my personal opinion after I get them put in. Maybe I can salvage the old bridge pickup by pairing it with a RWRP neck pickup. I don't really like the sound of it though.

I like the finish and build quality of the MIM tele, but any Classic Vibe tele that I have played has sounded way better than this MIM with the hot ceramic pickups. Hopefully these new pickups will have salvaged this otherwise nice Fender tele.

oldguy
December 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I don't have any experience with the SD's, Duffy, but I think you'll like them.

I'm basing that on the fact that you've done your homework on them before you ordered.

Best of luck on your "new" Tele sound when you get 'em installed!

piebaldpython
December 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
These Alnico II Pro tele pickups are supposed to sound very good and very musical. They are low output pickups and low output is preferred by a lot of players because they sound so musical. By musical I guess they are referring to the sweeter, less ice picky, full sound they produce. This set is supposed to also sound very good thru an overdriven amp, for old school type rock and blues. I will share my personal opinion after I get them put in.

You are correct on all counts sir. Alnico IIs are perfect for what you want to use them for. I have Tele-style Alnico IIIs in a 8 string lap steel that are very responsive. I also have a Squier Tele that I got from 'Vood that IIRC have Alnico IIs in them. Again, excellent pups to "boogie the blues" with.