PDA

View Full Version : NBD, though not for me!

Katastrophe
December 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
The family pooled our money, and bought Older KidKat a new bass for Christmas! We gave it to her early, as she will be at her other home for the holiday. Sorry, but I can't post pics as my camera is down.

We got the Rondo Ursa P-bass copy, in black. It came with an amph, cord, tuner, strap, gig bag, a tutorial DVD and a great big ol' smile from Older KidKat. The pack was dirt cheap, and I am really amazed by the quality of the bass itself. Fit n' finish are fantastic, with no sharp fret ends. The maple neck has some subtle but gorgeous flame. The neck is shaped great, too! The tone is as good as can be expected from a small practice amph.

It plays wonderfully, as it came properly set up, with a nice, medium action height.

The only downsides are that the fretboard is as dry as the Sahara, and the tuners are only what I would call "serviceable." Tuners are open backed, and don't hold tune very well. BUT, for the price, who cares! It's a great looking and playing bass that'll last Older KidKat for a long time should she decide to take care of it.

She's taking to the instrument like a fish to water. We were able to do some simple jamming last night, and her sense of timing is already dead on. Mrs. Kat is already talking about a music room if we are able to get out of apartmentland next year.

Eric
December 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Very cool. If I didn't own a bass, I think I'd be headed in a p-bass direction. Them are pretty cool basses.

NWBasser
December 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Good on you Kat for getting her started out right!

Tell KidKat Happy New Bass Day for me!:rockya

Katastrophe
December 20th, 2011, 07:21 AM
You bet, NWB!

progrmr
December 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Can't go wrong with a p-bass...that thump is known throughout music for generations!