PDA

View Full Version : Strat bridge screws -- always sharp?

Eric
December 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I got my first strat in a long time with my recent purchase of a Squier Hello Kitty Strat, and I've been giving it some more playing time recently after putting it aside for a little while. One thing I notice is that the bridge adjustment screws have pretty sharp edges, and if I'm not careful they can be a little painful if my playing motion brings my hand near the bridge.

I have no illusions that this is a great instrument, so I'm wondering if all strats have this going on or if it's just symptomatic of a cheap bridge. If it's the latter, are there any obvious fixes for it, or should I just change my strumming motion and/or buy a replacement bridge?

I can take pictures if they would be helpful. Thanks as always for any input.

Bookkeeper's Son
December 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
My Squier Affinity is like that. I'm in the process of shimming to adjust the neck angle slightly, so they don't have to stick up quite so far.

deeaa
December 20th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Strat annoyances 101, yeah...very normal. Way back it used to bother me quite a lot but not in a long while now because my right hand playing has changed a lot, I play even over the fretboard now quite often an in almost all cases anyway far from the bridge.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

DeanEVO_Dude
December 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Shim the neck, to increase the angle, to allow you to raise the saddles so there is not so much of the adjustment screws sticking up... I've had a few strats and I've done that with them to fix this problem. All you need is a slice of a business card or similar placed between the neck and the body at the bridge end of the neck pocket.

Scott

deeaa
December 22nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
Sandpaper makes for a perfect shim.